Fuel Range stopped working

c.jizzle

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2023 Nissan Z (performance)
Yesterday I put in some gas and the fuel range monitor stopped working. The fuel gauge shows I have gas but the fuel range isn't registering. Anyone ever have this problem or know of a solution? I took it to the dealership and they said it might have been a sensor issue.

20230415_091529.jpg

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Canā€™t say that Iā€™m not getting concerned, hood risers going off, fuel mileage not working, and other sensors also needing to be replaced and re programmed.
This is a small group of people and even a smaller group of owners with three issues in a very short space of time.

Nissan took their sweet time getting this car out, multiple quality issues and recallsā€¦you would think they would have ironed it all out by the time we finally got themā€¦but it appears not šŸ™

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I had the car on when I filled up. I guess that's a no no. So the tech at the dealership said to fill up again with the car off and it should be fine. It's working well now.

20230415_150558.jpg

oh good so not really an issue. I guess in 200 more miles when I fill up for the first time I will make sure its off haha

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The DTE display blanking out, especially when the car was left on during refilling, is totally normal.

The computer saw the level go up, so it has to wait until it stabilizes before it can display a new DTE. This has happened on my older vehicles too.

OP
OP
c.jizzle

c.jizzle

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The DTE display blanking out, especially when the car was left on during refilling, is totally normal.

The computer saw the level go up, so it has to wait until it stabilizes before it can display a new DTE. This has happened on my older vehicles too.
Ngl I was freaking out man. Never happened to me before even on any of my other vehicles.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Range reset is common in other newer cars too. Another to take note is, since you have the Auto, and not sure if electronics monitor the drive modes. On my Gladiator and other FCA vehicles, if you leave it idling in N for too long, e.g. waiting to fuel up, it won't let you immed select D, need to go to P first then back to D. Also happens if you open the door while in N, same procedure. These things are too smart to be really annoying! I just leave it in D with foot on the brake, ugh!

Supremekai

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
Range reset is common in other newer cars too. Another to take note is, since you have the Auto, and not sure if electronics monitor the drive modes. On my Gladiator and other FCA vehicles, if you leave it idling in N for too long, e.g. waiting to fuel up, it won't let you immed select D, need to go to P first then back to D. Also happens if you open the door while in N, same procedure. These things are too smart to be really annoying! I just leave it in D with foot on the brake, ugh!
Why put it in N and not P?

Do people leave their car on while filling up? I don't think anyone here in Canada does that.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

Do people leave their car on while filling up? I don't think anyone here in Canada does that.
No, not while filling up, but when in a long wait line for the pump. In older cars, at level ground you can put it in N then set the parking brake, can rest your foot off in the meantime. N is one click away from D. But modern electronics read it differently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
c.jizzle

c.jizzle

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

To clarify I didn't have the ignition on. Just the power. My wife was listening to the radio smh.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
To clarify I didn't have the ignition on. Just the power. My wife was listening to the radio smh.
That sounds more plausibleā€¦I was imagining the car running. Next thing we see you on the news with a KABOOM moment šŸ¤£

Itā€™s crazy that listening to the radio would affect the fuel gauges