SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Hello fellow Z enthusiasts and all alike, this post is my journey in acquiring my Z, driving her 3000km / 1850mi back home and my overall impression of the car thus far.

I need to start by saying how much of a journey this all was -I thank Jesus Christ, my King & Savior, for everything, and to bring her back home during this past Easter/Resurrection weekend really put everything in order to top it all off.
✝

Getting/Owning the Car:
As many of us have experienced, this was by far the hardest part throughout this endeavor - this is an understatement. To be honest, I didn't really follow the launch of the Z in the early days. It's been a dream of mine to own a sports car and the Z is my first. Back in April of 2022, I was in a fortunate situation to be able to afford a sports car (be it one of my goals before I hit 30yo [currently 29!]) after talking with my Wife and checking the finance I had put a budget together. Now it was a matter of "which" car. I looked at everything within a 80-120k CAD budget, considering both new and used, cars like: AM V8 Vantage (my absolute dream car), Lexus LC500, Corvettes, M2/M3/M4, you name it. Being a 90s kid, I had that nostalgia for F&F / Tokyo Drift and overall the JDM scene (having owned only JDM cars both growing up and as my first set of cars.), so during my search, the moment I laid eyes on the Z - it was sealed, need that! it was sexy!!!! it had a Turbo!!! decent modern tech, but the look and the turbo engine sealed it for me.

So in early May 2022, I go to my local Nissan dealership to put in a "$1000" deposit for a "reservation". The Sales agent was clear that this isn't a reservation or anything, but just a way to get into the queue. When asked at that time when the car would arrive, it was optimistic for end of Summer 22 - I was okay with this, even if I only got to drive it for a handful of weeks before storing due to Canadian winters, I was okay with that and waited patiently. So end of summer comes, and the update now is... Early Spring for 23. Okay... well as long as I get that car by May 1st 23, I'll be content; being able to drive for the whole season of 23. Now throughout these 7/8 months of waiting in 22 - the sales agent was a "dick" to be frank.... never providing updates unless I texted first (often waiting a handful of day before answering) and coming up with "gimmicking" excuses (car is rare, covid, no one buys sports cars, made in Japan, etc.) As we've all experienced - I was losing faith QUICK.

Started to hit my limits around Christmas time in 22, I started to see the Z pop up on Autotrader on a national filter (I'm obsessed, was checking daily since Aug...). I called each listing and every dealer basically said "these are allocated cars, we're just putting the ad up to get marketing and bring people into the dealership to see the car in some cases and get an order in for themselves in all cases. [I swear, I called and asked about the cars for all the canucks on here who got their car in the last 4/5 months]. I was livid... started to contemplate cancelling my deposit and buying the LC500... walked into my local Lexus dealership just before Christmas and almost signed, reason I didn't... i t was a 4-8 month wait time, and i just couldn't fathom possibly getting the car in Aug, near the end of the season. So I held on... still searching Autotrader and then it happened... right after the new year, there was a listing on Autotrader for a white Auto Performance in Regina, SK (Note: I live in Montreal and I was leaning manual, but given the opportunity, just went for it!) and it said "immediate delivery", called and basically bought the car the same day. Started with a 1k deposit to "hold", they removed the ad and kept their word; by the end of the week; got approval from the bank and credit checks. The following week - signed and owned (Jan 15, 2023). Told the dealership to keep it in the showroom (no touching, no sitting) and I'll pick it up early spring. I also worked a deal to pay my down payment in 4 portions (each month until April, where I'd pay the last portion in person. This was all extremely kind of the dealer/agent and worked in favor of my financial situation as I was able to pay off the bank loan before picking up the Car!!!)

*** Dealer markup was 3k through "Mandatory Packages"****
Package Description.jpg

The relief I felt on Jan 15 was priceless.... I got the car and more importantly... I was getting it in time for Spring to enjoy a full season of driving glory.
During the few months of waiting, I was able to get a full Paint Protection Film Service, Ceramic Coating and window tints with a reputable shop in Regina [costed 8k Cad for those wondering].

Driving her Home:
As mentioned above, I bought the car out of Regina, SK and needed to driver her back home to Montreal, QC (about 3000km / 1850mi). I was to do this in 4 days, 3 nights, where I drove the majority and gave my Wife a stint of around 2hrs per day. It's still very early spring here in Canada, so needed to drive through salt/sand, but had absolute fabulous weather with sunny skies & dry roads. I broke her in with the first 1200km, that is warming the car for 15m (cold morning up here!), driving long periods of time, keeping the RPMs under 4k and trying to maintain a variable speed of around 5-10km (basically not using cruise control), a little bit of variable braking here and there and swerving / aggressive turn into corners to adjust the suspension and body roll. the first 1200kms were boring, both cause of the break-in and the roads in that stint were straight and no elevation/turns (welcome to the prairies of Canada).

Nearing the 1200kms, I was in north Ontario (Thunder Bay) with better turns and nice roads, started to open her up - varying pulls (3-5k, then 4-6k, finally full hammer down at around 1300-1350kms), aggressive turn-ins with winding roads and just enjoying amazing back roads. The drive out of Thunder Bay into my next destination, Sault-Sainte Marie (SSM) was the highlight/glory road. about 600kms of back roads winding through the mountains and hills of Ontario riding along side the great lakes. Roads were empty (perks of traveling in the middle of Easter weekend) other then the average 18 wheelers and a few pickup trucks. On this stretch is where I hit 200kph / 120mph - let me tell you, the car gets to these speeds quick and it makes carrying these speeds look like rookie numbers. I'm turning into corners at around 100-140kph depending on the turn - smiling the whole day and just made me cherish the moments and journey of acquiring the car!

The last leg was from SSM back to my home in Montreal. I was quite tired from all the driving and the excitement from the previous day, so I took it easy on this last leg. Still some nice roads through middle of Ontario and overall enjoying the car. More relaxed here, so not surpassing 160kph (really just to pass those slow movers, as most of the Ontario highway was two lane, with oncoming on the other lane.) Did some more pulls here and there and I was more focused on reading the temps of the car to understand the moving parts and how they relate to performance. All in all, it was a great trip which allowed me to really learn the ins and outs of the car (tech, cabin space, settings, steering feedback, tire feedback and grip perspectives, g-force and body roll through corners and pulls, etc.)

My Impressions of the Car:
First I must state that this is my first "sports car" that I've owned, all my previous cars were under 200HP; although I've driven nicer/more powerful cars in my past; albeit for short periods of time and not being able to fully push these cars as they were not mine in all cases (rentals, friends, etc.). Secondly, I have watched 90% of the reviews on the Z (like most of us I imagine, be it Canadian, American and Australian reviews) but really didn't pay attention to much in these reviews and surely did not obsess over them right before driving my car (basically, the last few weeks before sitting and driving my car, I cleared my mind of bias and pre-judgements and just wanted to feel her out myself).

Without doubt, approaching the car to get in, it's that deep joy you feel - because it's super beautiful to look at and you know you're about to sit in beauty and the beast.

That being said... The car is a Grand Tourer first and becomes a "Sports Car" quickly when needed (call it 60/40).
It's hard to put into words how this comes to be; basically when you're on good roads and cruising (regardless of speed, say anything between 2k-3k RPM) the car is smooth as butter and you feel confident in everything the car offers. Sure, it's a little noisy in the cabin, but I had my music volume anywhere around 15-20 and I barely heard "road noise" (disclaimer: depends on the road, I experienced "more" noise on roads with more "texture"); but when I say confident in everything the car offers, I mean, you know you're in this helluva fast car that wants/should be aggressive as heck - but it gives you the choice of not going all in every time you're on the accelerator, brake, steering wheel. Then... when you want that "jazz" it'll give it to you - as many have said, the turbo power comes linearly and is fun at all ranges, but man oh man, after the 4.5k RPM, it's a beast (this is where the exhaust volumes, at least in an auto are "feasible / passable" for an enthusiast). Same with the corner-in speed, grip, steering feedback kicks in (some reviews mentioned how the steering was soft, all the electronic stuff ruined the hydraulic feel, blah blah. I can understand why they said this, when the car is in "GT" mode, yes the steering is a little soft [tbh the steering is actually "heavy", takes some effort to turn and all, which I was surprised given it's electric steering, but the soft feeling is just a little lack of steering feedback, you get more feel out of the tire grip in these "soft" moments]). It's as simple as, when you want to be "that guy", either the "Fast Guy" or the "I'm a racing car driver who takes the racing line Guy" - the car will provide... the steering, tire, brakes, engine, suspension all come to life in that moment and allow you to do with it as you please.

This dichotomy of "GT / Sports" Car is truly bliss in my honest opinion... allows me the space and time for comfort but easily allows me to be more then satisfied with truly running the car to the limits (and trust me, I didn't even get to these "limits", I feel there's still the "last two/three chapters" in the car that I've yet to explore [extreme spirited driving]).

Lastly... you get out of the car of the car and it's just pure Sex.... the "lookback" - every time, 5 times at least...that breath you take out of the car after the drive (whether it be a grocery run, spirited back roads stint) is priceless.

The car physically.... Pictures will never do justice
The car emotionally / experience..... don't think it may be expressed to virgins / foreigners...
The car.. the Z, is a Japanese Sports Car, built by Japanese people who both love and more importantly understand what it means to be proper in public but crazy on the back roads.

As for future plans, at the moment - run it stock for a little. I'm in the process of booking time with a garage who specializes in JDM / Q50s to get MAP full downpipes and catback exhaust installed (probably early May), thereafter.... maybe a Tune. What I can say... I'm more then impressed and content (other then exhaust, and I know I didn't really explain why) with the Car and don't feel the need to rush into all those mods - I want to appreciate and cherish what JDM legends have built for us.

I'll gladly answer any questions!!!

PICTURES:
PXL_20230406_232049394.jpg
PXL_20230406_232036038.jpg
PXL_20230408_140041295.jpg
original_102f4926-a010-4ded-9768-d19ba6c510df_PXL_20230408_140645222.jpg
PXL_20230410_181938528.jpg

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
My 1995 Z32 had "speed-variable" power steering. Full boost at very low speeds, gradually transitioning to hardly any at higher speeds.

Does the New Z have something similar?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Congratulations! The cross-country road trip sounds like a lot of fun.

OP
OP
SavedByFaith_

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
My 1995 Z32 had "speed-variable" power steering. Full boost at very low speeds, gradually transitioning to hardly any at higher speeds.

Does the New Z have something similar?
hmmm.. not entirely sure. I can say, that at low speeds (also low boost [call it less then 3/3.5k RPM at any speed really]) - steering feels "more" soft, more like power steering, pillowy, light.

But, when you hammer down - the steering really "tightens" up, "more pressure/tension", gets heavier, more "pinpoint", more feel/feedback, more "precision".

I'd also add, although the turbo comes linearly at all times
when you're "half pedal" - it almost feels like the linear build is "half as fast"
vs.
"full pedal" - you feel all the boost build at it's "maximum" rate

Match my description of the steering to this and you'll start to understand how it all ties together.

I'll also note here as a side:
sport vs. standard.
Felt no difference in steering.
Sport mode just makes the accelerator more snappy
(Note: I only drove sport for about 250kms through the backroads - definitely need more exposure t this)

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
Great write up. A trip like that really lets you bond with the car. Like Tamura-san said a dance partner

OP
OP
SavedByFaith_

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Great write up. A trip like that really lets you bond with the car. Like Tamura-san said a dance partner
Thank you for the kind words!
Definitely did a lot of bonding and dancing with the her!

She's worth the wait and every penny, hope you get yours soon bud!

xlr8tn

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z Performance
Did you put cermaic on first and then ppf? I got my Z cquartz installed the day after I got it but now thinking i need ppf to keep rock chips at bay.

OP
OP
SavedByFaith_

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Did you put cermaic on first and then ppf? I got my Z cquartz installed the day after I got it but now thinking i need ppf to keep rock chips at bay.
From my understanding PPF first always
This is how my service provider did my PPF and CC combo

Since I purchased the car in Jan and was only taking delivery in April

The car went from the dealership to the PPF/CC provider in early March
Took about two weeks to do the full PPF. Let it cure
Then they did the CC (I believe two coats, maybe three) the CQuartz finest I got is good for 3 years, I'll probably refresh it after 2 years.

Then let that dry and cure and they did ceramic windows tints as the final step

Then returned the car back to the dealer near end of March and checked up on it for any blemish and light touch-ups.

I then bought it home and it was filthy....

So I just did a power wash (less then 1500psi, ran mine at 1000psi), air compressor dry.

Did not add any chemicals, shampoo or anything of that manner

Good ole water and air

Note: I did not PPF nor CC the rims.
So my detailer just did a quick polish and chemical coating to keep em fresh.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
congrats on the new Z
sounds like you had a great time...glad your enjoying it.

i remember my first trip to canada (live in texas) many years ago. flew in and got a rental car to go to a hockey game . was getting on the highway and was elated to see a 120 speed limit sign.

i floored it and got up to speed quickly. i thought, this doesnt seem very fast. that day i learned about km vs mph lol...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SavedByFaith_

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Interior quality ?
Sure - I'm full black interior (I wanted blue, but now that I've lived in it, I think Black is the best!)
As you may recall from reviews - they claim it' very "Roomy / Spacious" - can easily confirm this.
Feels like there is a lot of room within the Cabin.
I'm 5'9, so can't speak for height, but looks like there's plenty of headroom.

The materials used are nice, fake leather sure, but feel nice with good cushioning.
I love the fake suede / Alcantara patch on the seat, feels nice to touch and works well with clothing and adds a slight level of stickiness against the fabrics that you're wearing.
The same Alcantara patch on the door is nice touch! When you brush against it, just nice feel.

Seats:
Driver Seat: 8/10
Buckets hold nice, manual lumber support and "thing portion" at the front - i don't mind that these are manual as for me it's set once and done.
Electric for back adjustment and "front/back" adjustment - i actually like that these are on the inside of the seat on rocker switches, as i found myself adjusting every few hours during my long trip

Passenger Seat: 6.5/10
There are no manual knobs to adjust the lumber and "thigh"; only the electric switches as described above.
My lower back hurt when i was sitting in the passenger when my Wife drove her stint.
(Note: this could just be my own fatigue from driving 5-7 hours per day, plus I've always had slight issues with my lower back and have not attended to it in some months as I typically do.)

"Trunk Space": 8/10
It suited my needs. was able to put a carry-on bag, two packed backpacks, a "small cooler" type box (note it's a soft bag, not hard shell) and finally a "normal" sized shopping bag with some things we bought at some boutique. Overall good space, need to play a little Tetris to pack it full - I'd be interested in getting the cargo net for when you just have a small item or two, as i can imagine it'll roll around.

Driver Dash: 9/10
Love it to death, sport mode is superior, normal mode id nice too. Not a fan of enhanced, but looks cool.
Things are easy to identify, some level of customization as to which "widgets" you want.

Infotainment: 8/10
What can I say... i used Android Auto for most of the trip, like the interface there.
The OEM stuff is nice too... but can't really comment - does the job for me.
Touch sensitivity is a little low - but i think this is good as to not fat finger or brush the screen and have everything change. When driving and messing around, every 15-20 second it'll pause and say "safety break - pay attention to road" or something like that - annoying sure, but i get it, and not as bad as some other cars I've experienced.

General Storage: 7/10
The pockets behind the seats are nice, was able to have a little bag of snacks behind driver which the passenger may easily access and grab things out of. I'm yet to leverage the little pocket to store documents - need to find a suitable "folder/binder and stack it in there.
Glove box is small.. probably around 66% of a "normal" sedan size.
Center glove box is very similar - shallow, I'm able to stack my sunglasses, a box of altoids, an extra wire and a microfiber cloth to clean the screen.
Cupholders are decent, good depth, decent circumferences probably stack any "normal" size drink (think S/M/L, probably not XL)
Side pockets are nice, I chuck my wallet in there and the cup holder there is okay - just need to be mindful of height with any liquids you'd store there.
Little pocket under the infotainment has enough space to fit my Google Pixel 6 and the key fob right beside all hooked with a short USB-C wire (and tucking the wire in to keep it looking clean).

Overall: 8/10
Suits my needs, living in the car for 10-11h per day during my trek - never once got annoyed with anything - this is a win in my books!

OP
OP
SavedByFaith_

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
congrats on the new Z
sounds like you had a great time...glad your enjoying it.

i remember my first trip to canada (live in texas) many years ago. flew in and got a rental car to go to a hockey game . was getting on the highway and was elated to see a 120 speed limit sign.

i floored it and got up to speed quickly. i thought, this doesnt seem very fast. that day i learned about km vs mph lol...
Hahaha - love it!
Lucky you had roads that allowed 120kph!!

Where I live, it's a measly 100kph...
most of the drive was 90kph (as it was only two lanes, with oncoming on the other side)
some of the beginning and end of 110kph

I loved when I went down to New Hampshire in the past and saw 70mph on some of those amazing backroads through the White Mountain Range

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Nice! Huge Congrats and where the credit is due ;) Great write-up, always appealing to me to pick up a car and make a road trip back, scenery plus learning about the car at the same time breaking it in. Always wanted to do that, in future planning. Even European delivery of some sort (not for the Z) where they lodge and dine you as a package deal.

Did you encounter icy roads? If so how did the Z manage traction control on those stock tires?