First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Occupation
Active Duty
During the first weekend of formula drift Chris forsberg started having transmission issues. Today he posted about it being the dog ring on 4th gear causing him to not be able to get it into gear. Is it possible this will only be a high horsepower application issue? Or is it likely to happen with only bolt ons?

OP
OP
DatChief

DatChief

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Occupation
Active Duty
well i dont even think he is using the stock tranny either
I know he ripped the car apart and put in some new bits so in not sure either at the moment. Just found out he put out a YouTube series so I'm watching it now and maybe ill find out

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
well i dont even think he is using the stock tranny either
Yep! Two things worth noting on that build:

1) he swapped in a VR38
2) he was using a 4-speed (believe dog box) that I think he pulled out of the 370 in his shop? Was definitely borrowed from one of the vehicles in there, so again not really applicable to anything we'd have to worry about unless we also went the full engine/transmission swap route

Even though he didn't build up the VR30 engine, which I know some of us weren't thrilled about (myself included, wanna see what can be done with this thing, but at the same time get why he went that route—time and the need for consistency), I still enjoyed watching the entire process

justnic

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fit, grom
Occupation
Mechanic
During the first weekend of formula drift Chris forsberg started having transmission issues. Today he posted about it being the dog ring on 4th gear causing him to not be able to get it into gear. Is it possible this will only be a high horsepower application issue? Or is it likely to happen with only bolt ons?
lol he’s not running the factory transmission or engine.
watch all of the videos.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic

1) he swapped in a VR38
2) he was using a 4-speed (believe dog box) that I think he pulled out of the 370 in his shop? Was definitely borrowed from one of the vehicles in there, so again not really applicable to anything we'd have to worry about unless we also went the full engine/transmission swap route

Even though he didn't build up the VR30 engine, which I know some of us weren't thrilled about (myself included, wanna see what can be done with this thing, but at the same time get why he went that route—time and the need for consistency), I still enjoyed watching the entire process
right he did rip the tranny from the other 370 cause it was on back order or delayed or something

OP
OP
DatChief

DatChief

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Occupation
Active Duty

1) he swapped in a VR38

I knew about the engine but I didn't realize he replaced the transmission too. I'm pretty sure they would be doing testing and development on the vr30 in the meantime to see if it can be used for their needs

OP
OP
DatChief

DatChief

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Occupation
Active Duty

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
The guy ruined a Z, chopped it up, tore out it's motor and trans, and Frankenstein stuff into it. It's not a real Z. Nissan should've just gave him a rolling shell.

I'm more surprised people still watch "drifting."

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The guy ruined a Z, chopped it up, tore out it's motor and trans, and Frankenstein stuff into it. It's not a real Z. Nissan should've just gave him a rolling shell.

I'm more surprised people still watch "drifting."
This is why I don’t get why he got one so far ahead of everyone else….it’s not advertising the product they are selling nor it’s capabilities

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This is why I don’t get why he got one so far ahead of everyone else….it’s not advertising the product they are selling nor it’s capabilities
It was probably a development mule that can't legally be registered for the road, it's either to the crusher or let some dude deconstruct it into a track only machine

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
It was only for show and marketing, I don't think most of the general population really knows what powered it nor the tranny. Such is Formula Drift. At least most of the body 'shape' was retained and not turned into a rocketbunny hack job.