ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
I am top 3 on the waitlist of a salesman of nearby Nissan dealer.
He never committed on pricing to me.
What will likely happen when new Zs arrive, he will call the people on the list by ordering...
"The price is $5k on top of MSRP. Do you want it?"
Go down the list until someone is willing to pay for the ADM.
This will go on for a while until new Zs arrive in volume ...

Time is tough. Dealers have few vehicles to sell. People need to make a living.
So, if you cannot wait, you need to pay.
If you have vehicles you don't drive often, this is the best time to sell them. :cool:

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I really don't want to wait any longer than I have to, but if that's what it takes to get one without ADM, that's what I'm gonna do. Even 5K over is unacceptable to me.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
4k is for the Z or other models? And how do they figure that ‘luck of the draw’? Of course curious too.
4k "adjustment" for the Z

The first batch or two are going to be what Nissan sends to dealers, not custom orders. Basically if you want something like a fully loaded Blue on Blue "Performance" with a stick.....you better hope Nissan sent one to your dealer or you can find one before somebody else snaps it up.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
4k "adjustment" for the Z

The first batch or two are going to be what Nissan sends to dealers, not custom orders. Basically if you want something like a fully loaded Blue on Blue "Performance" with a stick.....you better hope Nissan sent one to your dealer or you can find one before somebody else snaps it up.
Terrible business model and the way Nissan handles these first dealer 'allocations' , will gouge the most interested Z enthusiasts on pricing, since we're the most excited, and dealers get the last laughs! Ugh!! We need online ordering soon, think I can wait.

I did visit my local large dealer yesterday, picked up a Z brochure, sales manager said deliveries may even get pushed back until later past summer instead of Spring 2022, could be just heresay.

Last edited:

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
You can tell people not to pay, it doesn't matter. People that want one will buy one. And what happens is other dealers see this and will charge similar for the same car. Then you have what happened to the Type R, this insane 5K over MSRP that just sticks to these cars and doesn't go away. Then it follows the used car market which continues to drive/maintain the inflated price of a brand new vehicle.

It seems like this is the way things are going to be for a while until supply can catch up with demand and cause every dealership to have more cars than they can sell. Until then damn near every car that's for sale is is going to be sold for more than what is currently worth. It really sucks..

rjc1221

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 Z...'87 Z...'17 Frontier...'90 H-D...
Occupation
Retired
When I pre-ordered a 350Z Track in Sep '02, the local dealers that I checked with all quoted MSRP with no additional mark-up. At the time I assumed this was related to them having priced the previous generation out of the US market. Thankfully, upon delivery 4 months later, they did not tack on any more $. Cautiously optimistic...

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
My biggest beef with ADM is that I have to pay tax on that too.

And we are at nearly 11% tax here, I really loathe the idea of giving the government any more money than I have to. I'd rather pay ADM than sales tax.
That blows. Here we don't pay "sales" tax, it's a 7% title tax based on the value of the car, not the sales price.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
In all seriousness give Orr Nissan Central in Oklahoma a call. They'll happily ship interstate and have publicity stated their ADM is capped at 5k with possible discounts for club members/enthusiasts. Ethical dealerships do still exist.
ADM is not ethical at all. And them stating their price is just telling other stealerships their price to allow price fixing.

It was from my understanding that there was never a cap put on production. It's not like how Honda told dealerships we are making "x" cars, you get "y" and they are "z" specs. That is what allowed said stealerships to mark up the cars.

Nissan can't afford bad press right now. They need all the positive they can get, they need to build brand loyalty and positive image.

They also know mark ups are dangerous territory as they are trying to price the car as close to what people will be willing to pay for them, in mass, not just early adopters. If MSRP is $45k for performance trim, and dealer ADMs $5k then that puts a Nissan in BMW M240i pricing, or Supra which also is basically BMW quality materials and finish and will turn away buyers. If Nissan wants to make more money and charge $48k, them stealerships mark that up $5k now we're talking $52k pushing that threshold once again.

Mix in market instability and gas prices, and there is significant concern here on Nissans part to control their stealership network. It's obvious the Z is a Halo car trying to get people excited to buy into the brand which can lead to sales in there grossly overprice and grossly profitable yet unremarkable SUVs, CUVs, and trucks. Because right now, without the Z, Nissan has zero hype going for it. They allowed their GT-R to go from $70k to over $120k and thus out of the hype Halo segment. The Z is not worth $70k. Based off what we know and speculating performance, the performance trim is probably not worth beyond $45k in manual form. Not with the 86 pricing, the mustang gt pricing, and especially Supra pricing. Throw in others that can be cross shopped by others like the M240i and Golf R, potential new M2, well there are a lot of options, and those of which aren't marked up or can justify a slight mark up to some.

We'll see. Would be nice for a manufacturer to actually win one for the enthusiasts they claim they're catering to by wrangling in their stealerships. If they see one doing ADM, cut back over product going there. If a stealership dies off, well, the next will pick up the slack and said business.

Days of under sticker for enthusiast cars are gone. But it should be MSRP, and not a cent more via price markups, or unnecessary dealer add ONS.

Also, if you see a stealership doing ADM, go straight to Google and review them negatively. ADM is a terrible experience, thus warranting a terrible review. Also review them poorly everywhere else, plus email Nissan as well about your "terribly poor customer experience, and that you won't be buying Nissan products because of it."

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I disagree. ADM is ethical.

If a dealer is now only able to move 30% as many cars as 2019, their basis has dropped, therefore the profit rate must increase. The government still wants the property tax. The lights need to stay on, the insurance needs to be paid. And some dealers may be trying to lay-off as few people as possible.

Another thing to consider.... It's not "fair" to have ADM? So then, what other way would you say that people should expect to fairly acquire something in limited supply? How does that get delegated? What's fair then? First come, first serve? Your credit score? Which political party you voted for?

What if someone struggles with their health, knows their time is limited, and doesn't mind ADM if it means they get some time with their favorite car before they die from their ongoing health struggles?

For me, I'll join y'all in the avoidance of ADM. I don't like it either. But everything is effed lately, and I've saved a lot of money because I don't participate in the COVID inflation. You get mad at those who add ADM, but they can't help the crappy circumstances either.

Don't get me wrong, the dealers suck. I generally loathe visiting a dealership in the pre COVID era.

White_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Interesting opinions. Using the "how would dealership make money" (even in the CoVID era) to justify ADM is just wrong. The MSRP already priced in the money dealer will get each and every time they sell a car. They don't need the ADM to "survive". You can focus on selling more cars instead.

I agree is not an ethical issue. It is simply greed. That is why the current franchise dealership model should go. What value does dealership offer in terms of your car purchase experience? NONE.