Could The New Z Engine Be Nissan’s Last Twin-Turbo V6?

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
It might be unless the US gets a new president in 2024 and they rollback all the EPA mandates or what not.
But i don't know how much a US president would be able to change things.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
Will the Z have the stupid stop start feature to save gas when at a light ? you know the engine shuts down then restarts . a lot of stress . GT4 has it but it comes with a overide button

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I'm a little surprised the R36 isn't going hybrid. That's what the rumor mills have been saying for years now. I guess it was just cheaper and faster to reskin the R35 and do a little tuning here and there and call it a next gen.
It's probably more complex than that.

Maybe if Toyota produce the solid-state batteries w/in the next few years, there will be more hybrid sport cars. E.g. the 1st gen NSX is 3000lbs and the 2nd gen NSX is 3800lbs. Most of the increased in weight is from the hybrid system. Imagine the 370z (currently 3500lbs) with hybrid, it will like be over 4000lbs. Then implementation issue on existing platform if it was never designed for it. Then you got manufacturing and tooling to get it implemented.

Also, I think hybrid is half-a**ed EV; either all in on turbo or 100% EV (like Tesla).

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It might be unless the US gets a new president in 2024 and they rollback all the EPA mandates or what not.
But i don't know how much a US president would be able to change things.
Problem for our 4 year cycle is that it's been taken over by extreme policy changes, from both sides. And 4 years isn't enough for a manufacturer to bank on.
At this point it'd be better to follow global trends and try to accommodate the US market, when possible (Lexus IS500 for example).

As for op asking if it's Nissan's last TTV6...yup quite likely. Frankly, I'm surprised Nissan didn't spread this engine out a bit more...instead of 4cyl turbo fwd QX50, they could've made a TTV6 rwd/AWD crossover.
How about a VR35DDTT Nissan Titan? Or Armada? A Nismo Frontier TTV6.

Unfortunately, it looks like Nissan/Infiniti are going to let the Q50 and Q60 wither and die, I keep hearing the Titan is dead (already pulled from Canadia).

I'm sure the Nissan TTV6 could be modified/revised to be a fuel saver (Ecoboost style for EPA) and bored out for use in full size vehicles. Seems Nissan doesn't have the interest for that.
They just put the 20+ year old VQ35 engine into their latest offering.
I'd say Nissan will probably never release a new engine again.
And that should be interesting.... Nissan is lagging on EV development also, despite coming out strong with the Leaf.

It'll be an interesting decade for Nissan, just now getting out of the Ghosn funk, making great cars again, but no clear developments for drivetrains, ICE or EV, during a transitional period.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I wonder which will be easier to tune, my N54 TT 535i or the upcoming VR30DDTT. Love the pull of that I6. Will be curious to compare....

Then again, CA ECU emissions regs just updated really sucks!
Do you software tune your cars? I'm interested in learning and wonder how people gotten into the trade. How did you get into it and do you have any advise for me?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Do you software tune your cars? I'm interested in learning and wonder how people gotten into the trade. How did you get into it and do you have any advise for me?
Personally I don’t tune on my own, rely on a good shop tuner which is important. I always ask for a ‘safe’ tune since it has to last an entire day of tracking, sometimes at high temps.

I’ve done this with my prev STi and E46 M3, with good results. Do it in stages, don’t just dump a bunch of upgrades before a tune. Got to isolate the improvements in steps.

Waiting to do the same with the new Z. ?

Good luck to ya.