Could The New Z Engine Be Nissan’s Last Twin-Turbo V6?

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/could-the-new-z-engine-be-nissans-last-twin-turbo-v6/

According to a report by Best Car Web, the engine that will be used in the upcoming Z (Fairlady Z in Japan) could be Nissan’s last twin-turbo V6 due to emission regulations and the need for carbon neutrality.

The 370Z (Z34) and 350Z (Z33) were offered with naturally aspirated V6s, but the older 300ZX (Z32) was available with a twin-turbo V6 making it the last Z, to this date, to do so.

From the launch of the Nissan Z Proto in September 2020, it was confirmed that the new Z would be fitted with a twin-turbo V6, and that it would be available with a six-speed manual transmission. Since then, we have learned more information about the upcoming sportscar from different leaks and reports. It will allegedly use a tuned version of the VR30DDTT twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 that is found on the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 and the Nissan Skyline 400R where it produces 400 hp (298 kW / 405 PS).

The only models benefiting from a turbocharged six-cylinder in the global Nissan lineup are the Infiniti Q50 sedan and the Infiniti Q60 coupe mainly sold in North America and China (the Infiniti SUVs use turbocharged four-cylinder motors and the Skyline 400R is exclusive to Japan). However, judging from their sales, it is unlikely that we will see the development of a new version of the same engine.

Besides the upcoming Z that will not be available in Europe due to the stricter emission regulations, there is another model that will allegedly use a twin-turbo V6 and that is the next-generation GT-R. According to the latest reports, the R36 GT-R will carry over the twin-turbo 3.8-liter V6 (VR38DETT) from the R35, allegedly without the previously rumored mild-hybrid system.

Other Japanese automakers with V6 engines include Toyota (GR Supra and Land Cruiser), Lexus (LS500), and Honda (NSX), while in Europe, we have Mercedes-AMG (C43), Audi (RS 4 and RS 5), BMW (M340i and Z4 M40i), Ferrari (296 GTB) and Maserati (MC20).

However, with ever-tightening emissions regulations, companies trying to accomplish carbon neutrality and many countries vowing to ban internal combustion engines completely in the near future, could the VR30DDTT be Nissan’s last twin-turbo engine?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I wonder which will be easier to tune, my N54 TT 535i or the upcoming VR30DDTT. Love the pull of that I6. Will be curious to compare....

Then again, CA ECU emissions regs just updated really sucks!

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
Of course it's the last ICE engine in a Z. The emissions laws have already changed in Europe and Japan, and will soon change in all of the United States. The new Z can't even be sold in Europe because the VR30DDTT isnt' clean enough, and the potential volume is too low.
If you think this is the "end", you are sadly mistaken. A Tesla Model 3 with the performance option will already kill our new Z in acceleration - and by far. So we need to get realistic and learn about electrics. A Tesla S Plaid already out-does everything from Nissan and Infiniti, by far, no contest at all. And if that powertrain was put by Tesla in a sportscar instead of a large sedan, it's all over.
Nissan and Infiniti are working hard to move to the electrics... and there certainly won't be any major investment in ICE vehicles. That's why the new Z is 95% the old Z and 98% the Q60.
So let's get real... start thinking Z36... a single electric motor would be far more powerful than the upcoming new Z... a Nismo could use 3 motors and a GT-R 3 (for torque vectoring). The motors and battery and very low in the chassis, and the CG is far lower than any ICE car. Handling will take a jump upwards and performance will be another dimension.
And think that moding is over? Look at unpluggedperformance.com . Performance mods and personalization is alive, well, and has reached new heights.
Meanwhile we have 8 or 9 years with this new Z... and around then a major leap upwards.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I'm a little surprised the R36 isn't going hybrid. That's what the rumor mills have been saying for years now. I guess it was just cheaper and faster to reskin the R35 and do a little tuning here and there and call it a next gen.

OP
OP
Lin626

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I'm a little surprised the R36 isn't going hybrid. That's what the rumor mills have been saying for years now. I guess it was just cheaper and faster to reskin the R35 and do a little tuning here and there and call it a next gen.
Aka Z35 lol.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
We don't know that the R36 isn't going hybrid.... nothing is announced. Rumors don't mean anything.
That said, where are they supposed to get development budget for the hybrid engine? Nissan just barely made a profit this quarter, for the first time in years... and the focus is on their large production cars, not something that is barely selling anything at all. This would be expense, and a hybrid transaxle isn't something they can get somewhere else off the shelf.
And the R35 is already too heavy. It's going to be very interesting to see what the R36 is... if anything.

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1962 Triumph TR3A
Occupation
High School Teacher
Not sure if everyone has heard but things aren't looking good for Nissan cars. If these reports are true then what does that mean for Z? Will the Z35 be the last Z car?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Nissan-to-end-development-of-sedans-in-Japan

https://www.autonews.com/section/future-product
It seems like the same thing Ford did when they decided to end the production of their sedans. The Mustang survived though, so I have to think the Z will endure as well.

OP
OP
Lin626

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
It seems like the same thing Ford did when they decided to end the production of their sedans. The Mustang survived though, so I have to think the Z will endure as well.
But Ford is in a much better place than where Nissan is currently at. I hope you're right. The Z is such an icon for the Nissan brand.

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
I fully expect this to be the last ICE Z. I highly doubt Nissan would ever get rid of it as it is so iconic of their brand. The next generation after this one will absolutely be electric, in my opinion. That's why I will be buying one and keeping it forever, even when I have to buy a new vehicle after the new Z I won't be trading this baby in.