First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
ok, so the plan to pick up the z at launch for a daily has gone out the window. i couldn't wait, so i bought another car. im still very interested, or should i say my wife is now that she has seen the blue one. the last time she wanted a sports car, we picked up a brand new 2014 mustang in grabber blue...then she wanted a truck again, so we bought her a new tacoma in 2016 met. blue, and another new tacoma in 2019 when the calvary blue came out lol.

i told her we should prob wait a bit to see if there are any issues with the z and just hold off to miss any dealer markups. the other thing is she really liked the blue interior so i'm afraid we prob couldn't find a blue/blue performance at launch anyways. so as far as i was concerned, we were gonna wait. then someone posted a thread looking for help finding the z at launch so i called a couple dealers i've dealt with in the past, one of which i bought a brand new frontier crew cab.

after asking to get on a list the first dealer said they didn't have enough info and referred me to nissanusa website lol. i talked to a manager at the second dealership and he said he'd put me on the list. i'm #11...if we don't buy one, i'll refer one of you guys here in texas (near dfw area) to take my spot.

a few interesting things from our conversation...

1. they are a high volume dealer and said their allocations to begin with should be 3 to 6 vehicles. if its like the frontier and some other car (don't remember-who cares lol) that is the amount they received for their respective launchs.

2. they will be receiving an even amount of manual and auto. of course i told him manual, but not rule out auto. he said they didn't have the choice to pick to begin with. i think its pretty cool that nissan listened to enthusiast this time instead of going heavy on autos.

3. the most interesting part was he told me he would know his allocations by feb or mar at the latest. i asked if we could pick options like color and he said he would check the codes for me to see what they were getting. i've not read where anyone would find out details this early. have any of you?

4. he also mentioned that after nissan saw how their sales were from the first shipment, they would be allowed to place a larger order for the second round. he said since i'm on the list that i would probably get a call directly from nissan and have to answer a few questions. they would do that just to make sure the dealership wasn't padding their numbers of how many people were signed up...thus the amount of cars that could be potentially be shipped to them.

anyways im gonna call him again tomorrow to pick his brain some more. in my excitement i forgot to ask about any dealer mark-ups. i remember when i stopped by there to look at the new gtr a few year back, it was below 100k, when most dealers had them over that. still more than i was willing to fork out lol.

do you guys have any questions i should ask?

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Sounds pretty much what we were told in Aus…
Good luck with your interrogations ?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Good that you're picking their brains and yep they still don't know much on specifics. Keep us updated. Ask them to find out when the online ordering will be opened up.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
Most dealers nowadays are out for money.
Why not? Time like this does not happen often.

Some dealers are asking $40K ADM on a new Corvette C8.
Yes, after more than 1 yr already.

So, don't expect any Nissan dealers will sell you a new Z at MSRP.
"On a call list" just means that, they will call you and say,
"Hey, man. We have a new Z @$20K over MSRP. Are you interested?"

Thanks for the info, nonetheless. :)

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Good that you're picking their brains and yep they still don't know much on specifics. Keep us updated. Ask them to find out when the online ordering will be opened up.
This, ADM (doubt they'd admit it on the phone, but curious nonetheless) and when, ballpark, the "second shipment" would be are top of mind for me. I assume the information came from the manager?

I'm also almost hesitant to ask dealers about ADM, since I don't want to give them any ideas, but at the same time wonder if enough of us press the issue, they'll let up some. (I know, I know, a man can dream)

For some reason, I'm still in the camp that we don't see that bad of ADM, except on maybe the Proto. Makes a lot more sense.

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
ADM is all about supply and demand. If Nissan makes enough cars to meet the demand then ADM shouldn't be an issue. That said, they'll probably error on the conservative side on the initial allocation so there's a higher chance of ADM at first. The reason the Corvette still has crazy ADM is that Chevy hasn't been able to supply enough cars to meet the demand and you have people that "have" to have them.

Z34_2.0

First Name
Homer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
I'm not planning on paying over MSRP either. I'll either wait it out or pick up a used one in a years before paying over sticker.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
ADM is all about supply and demand. If Nissan makes enough cars to meet the demand then ADM shouldn't be an issue. That said, they'll probably error on the conservative side on the initial allocation so there's a higher chance of ADM at first. The reason the Corvette still has crazy ADM is that Chevy hasn't been able to supply enough cars to meet the demand and you have people that "have" to have them.
Great point. We might honestly be surprised at how many are allocated - I'd imagine they have methods of making educated guesses as to how much of the excitement converts to (probable) sales, and a part of me still thinks that by delaying it until spring, it gives them enough time to continue to counter the various issues plaguing the industry and ensure that there is enough to go around.

On top of all of that, having Dan on the forum has to be worth something besides his unwavering patience inanswering our questions, right? Perhaps he's our manufacturing whisperer

Not all dealers are selling for example C8 over sticker , There are also Nissan dealers that understand treating customers fairly and that's why there are successful . We need to establish a list that we can share and help each other to obtain the Z
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/where-to-buy-2020-corvette-at-msrp/
Also a great point. Imagine it might be tough to do until we get closer to launch, but I would be quite down to contribute across the state here.

Canuck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Corvette 2015 BMW 328
Canadian here. My salesman told me that I am number one on his list and that he agrees to MSRP. He indicated that he is not permitted as a dealer to charge an ADM in Canada even if he wanted to.

The Z will be my daily in Winter as I have a C8 and I live where there is lots of snow.

For my C8 I was #2 on the dealer list and I was on the list for a year BEFORE the C8 was announced also at MSRP. I will never pay a market adjustment; you just need to jump in line early at a reputable dealership.

Canadians get fantastic deals on car pricing as the C8 in Canada starts at 70k Canadian which is 75k AUD.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Canadian here. My salesman told me that I am number one on his list and that he agrees to MSRP. He indicated that he is not permitted as a dealer to charge an ADM in Canada even if he wanted to.

The Z will be my daily in Winter as I have a C8 and I live where there is lots of snow.

For my C8 I was #2 on the dealer list and I was on the list for a year BEFORE the C8 was announced also at MSRP. I will never pay a market adjustment; you just need to jump in line early at a reputable dealership.

Canadians get fantastic deals on car pricing as the C8 in Canada starts at 70k Canadian which is 75k AUD.
First of all…MSRP sounds exactly like Aus in terms of no mark up.

Second of all…you certainly do….there is no way that you can buy a C8 in Aus for 75k…more like 145k