Complaint about the Z release

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Up until now, I have "bit my tongue" about how Nissan is handling the Z release. I am grateful the TT Z is coming back. I understand the challenges of production in a pandemic fearing world.

However.

I have just witnessed how other manufacturers handle roll-outs of new, exciting, long-awaited vehicles and I am extremely unhappy with Nissan now.

86 Twins...teased, given to auto journalists and then on sale in a very short time, what 6 months total? People are now driving around in 2022 86's, which I believe the Z was teased a good bit before the 86 was.

Civic Si, no, I don't like the Si and I hate to bring this one up, but... the Si also went from tease to at the dealer lots in less than 6 months. Although, being based on a mass-produced Civic, it's not that impressive, like the 86 twins are. But still......

New Toyota Tundra....again, teased around same time as the new Z. Now some have trickled out into private ownership.

Yes, I know a 2 door coupe has different realities for when the manufacturer will birth it. But, Toyota/Subaru didn't play around with the 86's, and those arguably are in the exact same category as the new Z....discretionary lifestyle coupe. The other manufacturers didn't drag people out with never-ending pics of one proto in yellow.

I seriously think Nissan is holding up Z's for the Ariya, because before pandemic the plan was "A-Z" with Z being last. However, pandemic makes a vehicle like the Ariya very difficult to bring to full production, and if Nissan is stubborn about "Z" being after "A", our new Z is being needlessly delayed for a flawed marketing tactic.

Maybe Dan Passe can alight us to why the Z went from being a "2022" to a "2023" and what the Ariya plays in that?

As it sits, I am way excited about the chance to acquire an exceptional icon of Japanese performance. Now, Toyota is teasing the GR-Four Corolla, and honestly with a turbo 3 and AWD in a freaking "Corolla" it too is a "Japanese performance icon". It is not wrong-wheel drive, it is unique, and more importantly it may be available for sale well before the Z.

Maybe I sound petty that I can't buy a new toy. The pandemic has worn my patience very thin. I usually can wait for the right car to come along. But this is getting ridiculous in light of other vehicles that have teased far less than the new Z, especially the 86 Twins.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
It’s almost as if Nissan thought they were doing us a favor by releasing the proto forever ago and doing the live reveal way ahead of time. It’s like they were sharing the Z with us as soon as possible every step of the way.

Which I appreciate in sense.. but this lengthy wait is brutal. By the time it’s on the street it will seem like old news.

JoeTX

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bike
Occupation
Broker/ Software Engineer
EV has a big market now and big profit margin. only reason they are making it so they don't fall behind other EV makers.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Corolla GR interests me as well if the Z is really slow getting to dealers, but a big minus for it is its looks, that front end is just fugly, not sure I could live with it.

Another option for me is the new CTR. If it shows as much inter-generational improvement as the new Si has it could be fantastic, even if fwd.

Twins are out for me as I want a rev-matching manual.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Two years ago when the Z was rumoured I was excited, in Feb this year when it was confirmed and a contract drawn in Aus I was REALLY excited.
Now I’m loosing interest and wondering if a petrol powered vehicle is the way to go, if most cars will be electrified by 2030…and this one is pushed back much further.
Heck at an August release next year I’m realistically looking at 6.5 years before Im shamed for having such a vehicle, and that’s not long enough for the price tag.

Updated Miata announced in a week…they will be out by Jan. depending what’s in it, I may pick that up instead.

I agree…Nissan has handled this very badly. I know we are a minority, but we are their enthusiasts…need to be looked after, because sometimes it’s the enthusiastic minority that keeps brands going

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
I absolutely agree with everything you said. I'm planning on getting a new car by Summer. I wish we can see all the color options already at least. Speaking of the GR86/BRZ...I've been watching so many vids on those cars. I would be sold on those cars if it wasn't for the Z. My concern is how the Z launch is going to go. If it ends up being a shit show, I might just consider between the twins. But yeah Nissan is really dragging this while Toyota and other manufacturers are bringing the heat.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Heck my order might even come before the Z! Nissan is being so mum this late in the game, bad marketing and first deliveries.

This is replacing my Xterra eventually

1638582061948.png
1638582097649.png

1638582126506.png

1638582149970.png

1638582180074.png
1638582217854.png

1638582250873.png

1638582312289.png

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The Rivian is definitely delivering before the new Z. Heck, the Lucid Air is delivering before the new Z.

I'll just say it again, I really think there are some stubborn people at Nissan HQ that insist the Ariya comes before the Z.

The new Z is the exact same development arc as the 86 twins. Upgraded corporate engine, new sheet metal, new interior, existing platform. What's the hold up? Gotta be the Ariya :mad:

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I absolutely agree with everything you said. I'm planning on getting a new car by Summer. I wish we can see all the color options already at least. Speaking of the GR86/BRZ...I've been watching so many vids on those cars. I would be sold on those cars if it wasn't for the Z. My concern is how the Z launch is going to go. If it ends up being a shit show, I might just consider between the twins. But yeah Nissan is really dragging this while Toyota and other manufacturers are bringing the heat.
Riiight there with you.

Bummed this thread was made—not blaming OP for saying what a lot of people are thinking, of course—and we're having this conversation, but I've been giving it thought throughout the day and I have to agree. The continued silence and us having to scour the internet for speculation kind of sucks. "Spring" 2022, in the seasonal sense, is 101 days away. I don't want to even think about the "May/June delivery date" that's circulating. We've yet to see remaining colors—interior and exterior—let alone officially, get more spec details, pricing, all that.

Last edited:

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
One upside about a Z release in 6 months, there may be so much competition in the mid-priced performance segment by then (CTR, GR Corolla, new twins, new Golf R) that supply shortages and ADMs may not last as long as they would otherwise.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
yeah nissan has dragged it on...
there have been a few here including myself who have went ahead and bought something else.

im still in the hunt because my wife wants one, but if there are huge mark-ups at the launch, we'll probably wait till the hype subsidies and we can order exactly the z we want instead of settling and possibly overpaying.

on the flip side toyota has them beat, they drug out the "new supra" for 4+ years only to disappoint many with the zupr4...

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Yeah it's getting pretty sad now. What I really don't understand is how they don't have cars in automotive journalists hands yet. At this rate I doubt the car will even come out in the Spring. My money is on them pushing back to early-mid Summer.