First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Bob, with your track knowledge, any thoughts on upgrading the brake system ??
For the street it will be fine. Can you outdrive the stock brakes?- absolutely. But i can outdrive the stock brakes on a Miata also.

On the race track I would want to baseline the stock car anyway. Live with it for a few events bone stock.
100% would want to upgrade the fluid and brake lines before the 3rd track event.

By then I am betting you are looking for upgraded pads.
Even the mighty c7 z06 you upgrade fluid and pads.

As for a big caliper and rotor upgrade- would have to weigh how much more speed and lap times would drop vs $$ On any platform- lighter means less rotational mass. going from a 4 pot to 6 pot is massive upgrade. But really unless you are a complete track rat idiot like me the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Porsche are the only cars where you can drive from the showroom to the track and beat the hell out of it and everything is basically perfect. Even my Bmw's need pad upgrades ;)

For my track car you don't see fancy or colorful add ons. Unless it makes my lap times drop and or lighter i don't spend the money. So on the Z unless it really improves the lap times i would wait and see- really none of us know?? None out in the wild on the track that I am aware.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
On the race track I would want to baseline the stock car anyway. Live with it for a few events bone stock.
100% would want to upgrade the fluid and brake lines before the 3rd track event.
In my case here in hotter So CA, even factory stock, I always upgrade brake fluids and track pads, especially with these Akebonos, it's just that much more peace of mind.

After 2 to 3 track days then fit proper 200TW or less tires, since that's what I'm used to, and I'll bet the Z will 'wake up'!

My .02

Last edited:

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
@trackratZ & @rocksandblues

Sweet - Gracias for the inputs !!

Obviously, I'm being a little over reactive at the experience and over thinking this a bit.
Will upgrade the fluid, pads and since it's an 07 will install new stainless steel lines since the rubber may not be as pliable as they used to be. And later on, when new rotors are needed I will go for the drilled / slotted (for looks, as I know I'll never push to the ragged edge like you dudes do) strictly for the aesthetics, because, they just look cool AF.

I'll be rollin Hawk HPS unless there's another pad you fine gentlemen recommend . . .

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang, Ram, Suburban, etc
I just sold my Mach 1. What an insane comparison this article is.

Mach 1 WITH the handling pack is a street/track day car. The Z with Perf pack is just a street car. Nothing about this car is optimized for the track, which isn't a bad thing. I sold my Mach1 as I haven't been tracking as much this year, and wasn't enjoyable to drive on the street with 2.6 degrees of camber and 315 cup2s all the way around. Looking forward to a car that is much more useable on the street, and still fun to take to open track days

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
I just sold my Mach 1. What an insane comparison this article is.

Mach 1 WITH the handling pack is a street/track day car. The Z with Perf pack is just a street car. Nothing about this car is optimized for the track, which isn't a bad thing. I sold my Mach1 as I haven't been tracking as much this year, and wasn't enjoyable to drive on the street with 2.6 degrees of camber and 315 cup2s all the way around. Looking forward to a car that is much more useable on the street, and still fun to take to open track days
Buy a Miata, GR86, or CTR then. Maybe find a nice S2000.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Street and Track are two very different driving environments. You'll never find a car that is perfect for both. At the very least you'd need to have adjustable suspension and two separate sets of tyres, as well as upgraded brakes/pads. You'll also have to make some compromises at one, the other, or both environments.