First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
One area still unknown I still want to know is, per earlier info and interview with @Dan_Passe, there has been changes to the susp mounting points, shock valving, spring rates, etc. We know the VR30DDTT has enough base poser, but will the chassis keep up much better than what was in the 370Z? Who did the development and track tests on the mules? How much was done? Interested to know, we really don't want the 400 hp to overwhelm the handling.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
One area still unknown I still want to know is, per earlier info and interview with @Dan_Passe, there has been changes to the susp mounting points, shock valving, spring rates, etc. We know the VR30DDTT has enough base poser, but will the chassis keep up much better than what was in the 370Z? Who did the development and track tests on the mules? How much was done? Interested to know, we really don't want the 400 hp to overwhelm the handling.
So, you like your S30 chassis, yeah?

Have you driven a 370Z in the same circumstances as your S30?

How far "off the mark" do you consider the 370Z?

I don't know how you came to your feelings on the 370Z, but I think it is safe to say....if you felt the 370Z is "WAY OFF" from what you consider appropriate, likely Nissan didn't do enough to get the new Z up to snuff. My understanding is that Nissan only slightly revised SOME of the suspension geometry. So, can those revisions transform the car? If someone thought the previous 370Z was only slightly lacking, I say yes, the revisions should be enough.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
I think the chassis itself wasn't the issue, but maybe the tuning was.

Heck, the GT350 is considered to be an excellent driver's car, while the standard Mustang GT is...not reviewed as favorably in the handling department. The two have the same chassis, with primarily suspension tuning differences. So tuning can do quite a bit depending on what the engineers and marketing teams are trying to achieve with the car.

I think if Nissan wanted, they could make the Z a very fun handling car, even with the same chassis it has now. The main question is, what were they actually TRYING to achieve.

I suspect Ford could have given every Mustang the suspension of the GT350 with minimal change in cost, but would that have made the car too darty? Too rough? Too loud? Would most people appreciate that change, or would most not really care about the handling improvement but would be annoyed at the ride quality? Definitely excited to see where Nissan ended up going with the Z and I hope they have achieved a well balanced tune, with minimal understeer and a progressive breakaway.

There are some great cars out there these days (Miata, BRZ, Supra, Camaro, and even the Mustang) so the Z will need to be pretty damn good in order to compete.

-T

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
So, you like your S30 chassis, yeah?

Have you driven a 370Z in the same circumstances as your S30?

How far "off the mark" do you consider the 370Z?

I don't know how you came to your feelings on the 370Z, but I think it is safe to say....if you felt the 370Z is "WAY OFF" from what you consider appropriate, likely Nissan didn't do enough to get the new Z up to snuff. My understanding is that Nissan only slightly revised SOME of the suspension geometry. So, can those revisions transform the car? If someone thought the previous 370Z was only slightly lacking, I say yes, the revisions should be enough.
I like the S30 chassis when properly buttoned up, i.e. caged, tons more stiffer, and it's a relatively light chassis. Not really comparing to the 370Z's, I know it's a good handler already. Just wondering, like you said, if Nissan revised it enough.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I watch YT car reviewers who put a car up on a lift (like SavageGeese) and it surprises me how some cars that would seem a higher caliber than a 370Z have way less nice bits, such as steel subframes, steel control arms, etc. The 370Z, G37 and Q60 all have very nice bits such as aluminum subframe, aluminum control arms and hubs. It just needs better tuning, I guess. So, Nissan definitely didn't go cheap on the Z, hopefully we'll all be impressed with the new Z.

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro SS 1LE, BMW 340, Ford F150
Has it been confirmed that the suspension mounting points were changed? Any other updates on what they changed with the suspension?

Really hoping this thing can get more than 1.4 degrees of negative camber with the OEM suspension.

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
Has it been confirmed that the suspension mounting points were changed? Any other updates on what they changed with the suspension?

Really hoping this thing can get more than 1.4 degrees of negative camber with the OEM suspension.
There was an interview back in August with an engineer. Can’t remember where but you could probably find it if you look. He said there are different suspension attachment points, different camber and different shock tuning vs. the 370.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I watch YT car reviewers who put a car up on a lift (like SavageGeese) and it surprises me how some cars that would seem a higher caliber than a 370Z have way less nice bits, such as steel subframes, steel control arms, etc. The 370Z, G37 and Q60 all have very nice bits such as aluminum subframe, aluminum control arms and hubs. It just needs better tuning, I guess. So, Nissan definitely didn't go cheap on the Z, hopefully we'll all be impressed with the new Z.
And don't forget the front double wishbones. You have to buy a GT3 to get those in a Porsche lol.

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro SS 1LE, BMW 340, Ford F150
Thanks 280driver. I certainly hope that's true. I've put a deposit on one, but if this thing can't get a half decent amount of front camber I'll likely back out.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security