Anotha One from C&D: Comparison Test: 2022 BMW M240i vs. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 vs. 2023 Nissan Z vs. 2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
maybe or maybe the 22 have the surplus of the batch they made , im not 100% sure whats the deal is but its like the 2020 supra wasnt locked then suddenly some later model 2021 supras and beyond are all locked now. like why go through the effort of locking all the ecu
Because its German. Majority of German cars have locked ECUs hence how Jb4 got so popular.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Because its German. Majority of German cars have locked ECUs hence how Jb4 got so popular.
yea i know my girls audi S5 is locked but yea the ecu on the new C8 were locked to even though someone came out saying they cracked the C8 ECU

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
maybe or maybe the 22 have the surplus of the batch they made , im not 100% sure whats the deal is but its like the 2020 supra wasnt locked then suddenly some later model 2021 supras and beyond are all locked now. like why go through the effort of locking all the ecu
That's interesting. Is Bosch the sole supplier of MKV ECUs? Odd move nonetheless, especially when I recall Toyota reps touting the MKV as a tuner's car (famously omitting strut tower bracing on the 2020 citing the aftermarket as the solution lol).

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Nearly all of BMWs entire product line is boosted these days.
They had to lock their ECUs.
It costs money to lock ECUs as the dealership network needs to be provided the tech to unlock ECUs, which is usually custom made laptops and special cables (special because they build a security IC into a normal looking obd2 cable)

Worth it to upgrade the BMW network.

Maybe not worth it for a low volume car.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
yea i would of though yea bmw ecu but they touting this as the supra which they knew what was going to happen then locked all the later models lol but i hope thats doesnt become something for the Z, ive always live in the world of ford and chevy and they are like fuck it go for it

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I brung aftermarket parts

No one mentioned in several pages of posts that we were talking factory vs. factory. Rather, everyone has only been comparing $$$$. And $12k gets you a decent amount of mods.
It opens up a whole ass can of worms going stock vs aftermarket. My Evo can absolutely stomp a fucking mudhole in 99% of stock vehicles on the planet no matter how much they cost (I too brung aftermarket parts lol). Imagine buying a brand new Miata and dumping the difference between that and a performance Z into building said Miata. The Z would have zero shot against it.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I disagree in spades. Most aftermarket mods are meant, if anything, to improve the reliability of a car...
Yeah no. Most aftermarket parts essentially do three things - make it faster, make it look "better", or a combination of the two.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Yeah no. Most aftermarket parts essentially do three things - make it faster, make it look "better", or a combination of the two.
I don't want to belabor this point more than we have, but I concede that perhaps the qualifier "many" rather than "most" would have been more appropriate. With that said, my point still stands. Namely, that just because you add on or perform an aftermarket mod to a car does not mean that you are inherently decreasing the car's OEM levels of comfort, performance, reliability, etc. as white_turbo is suggesting. Some mods, like those addressing the S55 crank hub issue increase reliability considerably.

If done by a reputable shop, the mods I suggested for $12k difference will see a Z live a long life as if OEM, and offer increaed performance potentially getting you close to or even surpassing the performance offered from a stock $65k Mach 1. MKVs are a great example of this as I've seen several with nothing more than a downpipe, intake, and tune put a beating on GT350s on tracks in the Northeast.

So, yes, some mods can decrease reliability, but certainly not the ones I suggested. If anything, going with catless downpipes as an example could be seen as increasing reliability as you're removing a component that will eventually fail 😇

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
The Bosch lock on BMWs (Zupra) is disappointing for sure. I get it from BMW side: you want to open up a pay to play AND these crazy BMW motors put out so much power I can see the desire to limit that and protect the owners and brand name.

There is a ECU clone process that is now a work around. Costs around 3k

I have one of the rare 2021s with 6 port exhaust and is tunable. Not rare as in valuable or anything, but there are a very limited number. I had JB4 before i learned that mine was tunable. I highly recommend to people. very reliable and puts out very very good numbers.
But, it is limited on how much of the engines potential it can tap- period

I went a bit overboard on the tune, fueling, e85, etc and now make too much power for the road track events. At full e85 and kill map it is basically uncontrollable on a road course. So much so that i have to run at a map around 470-500hp just to keep the car pointed in the right direction.

The b58 is insane fwiw. Took like a week for the 1/4 mile guys to get in the 10s. Now the records get traded back in forth in the 7s!!!!!

I am pulling for the Z's. I am a car NUT and love anything that is stupidly sports car oriented. (except Dodge ;)

But you better bring a serious A-game to the 1/4 and the road tracks. There are a ton of fast Supras out here.... waiting....

Still offering free track day to the first Z that wants to come to my home track in VA. And free instruction if wanted or needed

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
The Bosch lock on BMWs (Zupra) is disappointing for sure. I get it from BMW side: you want to open up a pay to play AND these crazy BMW motors put out so much power I can see the desire to limit that and protect the owners and brand name.

There is a ECU clone process that is now a work around. Costs around 3k

I have one of the rare 2021s with 6 port exhaust and is tunable. Not rare as in valuable or anything, but there are a very limited number. I had JB4 before i learned that mine was tunable. I highly recommend to people. very reliable and puts out very very good numbers.
But, it is limited on how much of the engines potential it can tap- period

I went a bit overboard on the tune, fueling, e85, etc and now make too much power for the road track events. At full e85 and kill map it is basically uncontrollable on a road course. So much so that i have to run at a map around 470-500hp just to keep the car pointed in the right direction.

The b58 is insane fwiw. Took like a week for the 1/4 mile guys to get in the 10s. Now the records get traded back in forth in the 7s!!!!!

I am pulling for the Z's. I am a car NUT and love anything that is stupidly sports car oriented. (except Dodge ;)

But you better bring a serious A-game to the 1/4 and the road tracks. There are a ton of fast Supras out here.... waiting....

Still offering free track day to the first Z that wants to come to my home track in VA. And free instruction if wanted or needed
yea thats why im ok with the JB4 for now plus i use my car for DD , ill wait till someone steals the secret sauce and brings it over to the states lol