Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
At this rate, I might as well go get another N54......at least it wouldn't be a DD this time? lol

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
You can get an unlock and BM3 Stage 2 OTS Tune for $2500 now. More affordable options have been released for post-2020 ECUs.

-RJM
Still seems expensive to me. I recall stage 2 ECU tunes being under $1k not long ago (Mk7 GTI and R) and massive gains from a $500 DP into stock exhaust.

Does that $2.5k tune require sending out the ECU?

Does the warranty get voided?

What's up with the guy who posted 480whp for $5500 just a few short months ago? May, June.....what did he do wrong?
I saw someone with the same username as someone here actively posting in that thread....

All I know is, if it's "only $2500" and you need to take your car offline and risk shipping out an ECU to a foreign country, I don't get why that's presented as a reasonable approach.... seems worse than $2500 heat exchangers to me....jmho

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
What's a N54?

Another legendary BMW motor Had one for three years. Was stupid easy to make 470hp on stock turbos. Lots and lots of reliable single top mount kits for 500-600 reliable hp.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Another legendary BMW motor Had one for three years. Was stupid easy to make 470hp on stock turbos. Lots and lots of reliable single top mount kits for 500-600 reliable hp.
So, when someone says "N54", would that mean you are open to whatever chassis it was in?

Is that what was in the 5 series? I knew a guy who had a 2010-ish 5 series with a twin turbo inline six, he said it was constantly in the shop. Something always happening with the fuel pump. Did that ever get fixed?

I've been looking at for sale by owner turbo German cars lately. I really wouldn't mind a "N54" coupe or another Mk7 GTI as a toy, especially if I could get one under $15K.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
So, when someone says "N54", would that mean you are open to whatever chassis it was in?

Is that what was in the 5 series? I knew a guy who had a 2010-ish 5 series with a twin turbo inline six, he said it was constantly in the shop. Something always happening with the fuel pump. Did that ever get fixed?

I've been looking at for sale by owner turbo German cars lately. I really wouldn't mind a "N54" coupe or another Mk7 GTI as a toy, especially if I could get one under $15K.

So…. The n54 was in several models
Like every BMW- and I am obviously a BMW fan (but not blind fan boi) the power and engineering is amazing but always has a couple sniggly issues. If you know the issues they are simple and not expensive. In this case the n54 has a couple 5$ cheap gaskets to fix, upgrade some hoses and replace the fuel pump with a bullet proof one (just pull rear seat)
If you have specific questions feel free to send me a phone number. Always happy to share what I have learned.

No platform if perfect but for not much money most BMW engines make stupid reliable power with just addressing a few issues and catching up on maintenance

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
this is going to be an expensive package the heat exhangers alone are about 2 k
It's AMS, of course it's gonna be expensive. They were expensive back when they mostly focused on Evos.

Leo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
500whp just to run mid 11s? That's wack, or maybe I'm just too used to lighter cars.