First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6, 335i
Occupation
Engineer
yeah Toyota dropped the ball on the Supra big time. almost 40% of 86 owners said they would consider a Supra only if it came with a MT. thats a big number of lost potential buyers imo.
Agreed, I guess Toyota must have figured the manual faithful would have just sucked it up and still buy the auto supra. Instead they probably all went out and bought other cars with manuals, like M2's, Camaros, caymans or something.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
im sure the aftermarket will figure that out...
I would think that should be fairly simple. Synchro Rev Match knows if you're in gear, and if you are, which gear you're in. I would think there would be a pretty simple way for Nissan to add remote start from the factory without any liability issues.

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
Agreed, I guess Toyota must have figured the manual faithful would have just sucked it up and still buy the auto supra. Instead they probably all went out and bought other cars with manuals, like M2's, Camaros, caymans or something.
Not only that's but there's three of us at my job that were considering the new Supra, one said for the price, they'll just wait and get a C8 and now they're just waiting for more cars to come out.

The other one got jerked around by two dealerships with markup, got fed up and just bought a Honda cash.

And me I wanted the Supra BAD but the constant rumors that they were going to add the manual option was what was holding on to me in wanting a Supra, but then I test drove one, and it's a nice car, but I HATE BMWs, I mean I make the jokes about it being a Zupra, but Jesus even down to the door chimes. I just couldn't do it. I looked into that one reprogramming thing for BMWs to get rid of all the things I hated about them, but you're still left with a automatic trans, in a basically 50k car otd that makes less than 400whp, I honestly have no idea what Toyotas plan was with the Supra, but it really missed the mark.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
To those of you with CSC issues past or present, and since I have no experience with it, how can we tell if the new Z will have the same component or upgraded one, and what is the best way (instruction) to do the CSC delete? Probably a few YouTubes out there but what's the best one to follow? I'm getting the manual regardless.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Getting the auto this time. Didn't care for the clutch action in the 370Z; total crap compared to Porsche, Honda/Acura and Mazda. Add the CSC issue that doesn't seem to have been addressed, and it's a no-brainer for me.

The DCT in my Audi is fantastic. Paddle shifting is as engaging as a stick shift to me.

Fully understand others wanting the manual; glad there are choices.

That being said, I have to laugh at the "only REAL sportscars have manuals" crowd. Let's get technical here.

REAL sportscars don't have:
  • power steering;
  • power brakes:
  • power windows (hell, they don't have roll-up windows!);
  • a top;
  • rev matching;
  • entertainment systems; or even
  • air conditioning.
That's a pretty comprehensive list of features that are pretty much standard on most cars. It seems ridiculous to have a car without them.

The manual transmission will be gone soon, as will all transmissions eventually with the move to EV's. Nothing wrong with making choices, let's just be happy there are choices, and respect the choices of others.
Yea, the DCT on the B8.5 S4 I test drove was stupid good; But I must say I do love the ZF in by B9 S4 as well. There is def very minor delay in downshifts, but it is MILES ahead of what the JATCO 7Speeds are in the Infiniti/Nissan. Let's hope Nissan can get the programming right on the 9speed the way Toyota did with the ZF in the Supra.

Not only that's but there's three of us at my job that were considering the new Supra, one said for the price, they'll just wait and get a C8 and now they're just waiting for more cars to come out.

The other one got jerked around by two dealerships with markup, got fed up and just bought a Honda cash.

And me I wanted the Supra BAD but the constant rumors that they were going to add the manual option was what was holding on to me in wanting a Supra, but then I test drove one, and it's a nice car, but I HATE BMWs, I mean I make the jokes about it being a Zupra, but Jesus even down to the door chimes. I just couldn't do it. I looked into that one reprogramming thing for BMWs to get rid of all the things I hated about them, but you're still left with a automatic trans, in a basically 50k car otd that makes less than 400whp, I honestly have no idea what Toyotas plan was with the Supra, but it really missed the mark.
Yea I'm with you and your coworkers on the supra scenario. All my cousins and I grew up on JDMs, and none of us even once thought of the Supra as a worthwhile contender; We all thought, for the same price, why not just get a real BMW (M2, M3), or better yet, get the Original Supra or get the BRZ and mod it like crazy, and finally wait for the new Z/STI since they'll be manual.

I also hate BMWs, aside from the F80 M3, but what Toyota did in favor of cost-savings, as you say, completely missed the mark; Aside from the people who've migrated to BMWs from JDM roots and have wanted to go back to JDM but add EDM "build quality", most are waiting for manual sports cars that handle well vs straight line speed (Which has been ruined by all the Teslas)

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata
Getting the auto this time. Didn't care for the clutch action in the 370Z; total crap compared to Porsche, Honda/Acura and Mazda. Add the CSC issue that doesn't seem to have been addressed, and it's a no-brainer for me.

The DCT in my Audi is fantastic. Paddle shifting is as engaging as a stick shift to me.

That being said, I have to laugh at the "only REAL sportscars have manuals" crowd. Let's get technical here.

• power steering;
  • power brakes:
  • a top;
  • rev matching;
  • air conditioning.
That's a pretty comprehensive list of features that are pretty much standard on most cars. It seems ridiculous to have a car without them.

The manual transmission will be gone soon, as will all transmissions eventually with the move to EV's. Nothing wrong with making choices, let's just be happy there are choices, and respect the choices of others.
What you described is a race car for the most part lol. Sports cars strike that balance of a GT and a race car, but more importantly, its intended to just be an exciting tool for the road. Why get an exciting car with a boring transmission? Takes me out of it.

To each thier own I suppose.

Ultimately the goal is for everyone to buy it after all lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Audi TT RS
What you described is a race car for the most part lol. Sports cars strike that balance of a GT and a race car, but more importantly, its intended to just be an exciting tool for the road. Why get an exciting car with a boring transmission? Takes me out of it.

To each thier own I suppose.

Ultimately the goal is for everyone to buy it after all lol.
No, what I described was every sports car produced in the 50's through the late 60's. The most literal one being a Shelby Cobra, but you could add the MG TD, any early Triumph, etc.

My point was that people's ideas of sports cars today are far removed from the past, but there are still plenty of people out there that will argue what a "true" sports car is.

The features I listed are, of course, common place now. My first three new cars didn't even have air conditioning, much less power anything. The manual transmission will soon be added to the list of options "from the old days".

As you rightly say, "to each their own".

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
I would think that should be fairly simple. Synchro Rev Match knows if you're in gear, and if you are, which gear you're in. I would think there would be a pretty simple way for Nissan to add remote start from the factory without any liability issues.
I know it can be done after market, but I don't know of any manual car that has one from the factory.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy

• power steering;
  • power brakes:
  • a top;
  • rev matching;
  • air conditioning.

Thank you!

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata
No, what I described was every sports car produced in the 50's through the late 60's. The most literal one being a Shelby Cobra, but you could add the MG TD, any early Triumph, etc.

My point was that people's ideas of sports cars today are far removed from the past, but there are still plenty of people out there that will argue what a "true" sports car is.

The features I listed are, of course, common place now. My first three new cars didn't even have air conditioning, much less power anything. The manual transmission will soon be added to the list of options "from the old days".

As you rightly say, "to each their own".
I disagree. Alot of the things you named were not available because the tech wasnt really there to make the experience mesh well with sporty driving. AC systems have less parasitic loss, we have variable steering racks, power operated features are cheap, etc and most importantly, they are standard. We cant even choose to have them included or not. Equally as important is most of those features dont dramaticly impede on the driving characteristics of the car, at least not nowadays. Unlike a transmission choice, features like an ac conditioner dont limit the amount of control, or control points you have, or adjust the behavior of the car in any significant way. Transmission, and gear ratios definitely can, and since the choice is available, ill try to make it as close to a "sports car" as i can.

Last edited:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

• power steering;
  • power brakes:
  • a top;
  • rev matching;
  • air conditioning.

to me, a 'sports car' can be one of two things.

racecar - what you described. no frills, lightened and stripped to the bare necessities (queue up baloo's song) made to go fast or set records.

streetcar - sporty looking vehicles (dubbed a sports car by its mfg) that may or may not be modded by the owner to go or look faster...