Status
Not open for further replies.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
https://www.nortonway.com/nissan/news/nissan-400z-rumours/

NISSAN'S NEXT GENERATION Z CAR REPORTEDLY NAMED THE 400Z MAY RECEIVE A 475BHP NISMO VERSION
  • Rumours bubble away about a partnership with Mercedes on the next Z car
  • Autocar receive word that the next gen 'Z car' has been given the green light and will be named the '400Z'
  • 475bhp NISMO version will adapt the Infinity Q60 twin turbo V6 engine
Earlier this month rumours simmered around the internet that Mercedes and Nissan would take the same route that Toyota and BMW will be taking with the new Z4 and Supra, by working together to cut costs. It was thought that Mercedes would help with the engine and chassis. However since then, Autocar reported that they received word that this wasn't the case, and Nissan had indeed given the green light to the next gen 'Z car' the '400Z'.

The 400Z, or the Z35 as it's known internally is reported to share the same basic platform that the next gen Infinity Q60 will use. This means that that car will sport a twin turbo V6 with at least 400bhp. And if at least 400 ponies isn't enough for you, Autocar say that Nissan will release an ever hotter than hot NISMO version, pushing out as much as 475 horsepower from an all-wheel drive set up. That would be just 5 horses shy of the 480bhp super car munching GT-R from back in 2008.

This all sounds amazing, but if the rumours are true, and hopefully they are, we wont see the 400Z in showroom's until 2020, and the NISMO version until 2021! According to Autocar, we could see the new concept version of this car as early as this years Tokyo Motor Show in October, with the production versions be unveiled at the LA motor show, end of 2019.

Keeping their cards close to their chest Nissan commented saying, "The Nissan Z has been an icon of our brand for nearly 50 years and we appreciate the excitement of Z enthusiasts and sports car fans around the world. We have not announced any plans beyond the 2018 model year 370Z, and as a policy do not comment on speculation regarding future product plans."

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I can see how that would be good from a selling point. That’s definitely a bigger jump than previous Nismo models. Especially being that they used to cost 10 grand more and only got like 15 or 20 more horsepower. Yes it did have a slightly different suspension and definitely better looking and some interior differences. I personally felt that they never were worth it and we have yet to see the pricing more or less the car as of yet. And even if they can bump the horsepower in what manner are they going to do it will be slightly different turbos, more boost who knows. Just makes me wonder how special it can be that you couldn’t already able to do on what the new 400 with a tune. I do know from past Nismo models they had a little bit more bump of horsepower but never seem to get better numbers on the Dyno when adding aftermarket performance parts because you can only pump so much air through those NA models but this is a whole different ballgame with these twin turbos.

OP
OP
Seong

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
What do you think we'll see in terms of upgrades on the Nismo 400Z? Obviously it'll get aero parts like chin spoiler, trunk spoiler, sideskirts, wheels. What about on the performance improvement side?

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Like all the Nismo iterations Nissan has released since the 350z, they all have the same type of performance improvements; Exhaust upgrade and slight engine tuning difference (negligible on 350/370z nismos). Main "performance" updates will come through the bodywork and then similar to the Silver Sport vs Red Sport Q models, tuning differences.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Anyone have any thoughts on this "Baby GT-R" comment that has been floating around? Do you think this is going to be like the past two Z generations or will it be like the other comment stating more than a body kit?

If they do make this a baby GT-R will they bring over the 3.8 from the R35 or the AWD from the Q60? If they do either will it have the option of including a manual or will that make this auto only?

If they do either bring over the 3.8 and keep the manual trans that's going in it now what price range do you think?

My thoughts are they will carry over the 3.8 detune it, keep the manual, throw the GT-R brakes on it, NISMO body kit, Recaros, and it will come in at 60-65.. I can dream...

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
There's absolutely no way they will change the engine. It will definitely be the 3.0 VR; just tuned to make more power. A different body kit is expected of course. I don't see them making it AWD, ever. The Z is known as a RWD sports car. The whole point of this new Z is the heritage behind it, recalling past Zs design and heritage. AWD would completely defeat that purpose. And I'm more than sure a manual will be offered. GTR 6 piston Brembos are reasonable and probably likely. Price range is going to start at least $55,000.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Never say never. I know there was talk of making the corvette mid engine for a very long, and some people think it's terrible. There's also a 4-door electric mustang.. If the baby GT-R quote is actually real and not some hype or BS the only thing that would make them have something in common would be the engine or drivetrain. Nissan has the ability to make both happen logically.. The new Z is a 370 with a new engine and cosmetics which used the VQ. We know twins fit under the hood with the VQ in the 370, the 3.8 IS possible but not financially logical. After thinking about the space under the 370 there wouldn't be the space to fit the drivetrain from the Q60.

Regardless of what direction they go I'm beyond excited with everything they have announced so far and cannot wait to hear actual information from Nissan. I just hope they take that glossy/piano black from the steering wheel in those recent leaks on the air transport.

50thZ

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 370z 50th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
After thinking about the space under the 370 there wouldn't be the space to fit the drivetrain from the Q60.
Z1 Motorsports has demonstrated that you should probably reconsider your thinking. They've been doing the VR30DDTT/Z34 engine swap since at least 2018.

Last edited:

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
If the baby GT-R quote is actually real and not some hype or BS the only thing that would make them have something in common would be the engine or drivetrain.
It is a real quote, respectfully referring to a lighter, smaller 2 seat coupe with a ridiculous power to weight ratio like the Godzilla Skyline. NOT that both cars would necessarily share a similar drivetrain.

Last edited:

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Obviously the VR30 is going to be the engine.. The space I am referring to is the AWD system the Q60 has the option of, the 370 was not built to accompany this.

Status
Not open for further replies.