2023 Nissan Z (Boulder Gray) on Display at Chicago Auto Show

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Bolding mine, I believe the last time a related press release was issued, it said "expected" so at least we're concrete now? The Frontiers on display sound pretty cool, too (also mods, sorry if this should have gone in "Other Cars"—I debated, but given the Z mentioned figured to throw it in here)

Also, anyone going? Wonder what colors they'll have on display, now that we've officially seen the Boulder...

---

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/re...ariya-electric-crossover-at-chicago-auto-show

February 10, 2022

CHICAGO – Nissan is bringing a truckload of Southern California vibes to the 2022 Chicago Auto Show with a trio of custom Frontier trucks created by its San Diego-based design team.

The three Nissan Design America (NDA) project trucks are based on the 2022 Frontier, which is available now at Nissan dealers nationwide. They are joined by the Rebelle Rally Frontier, driven by "Team Wild Grace" in the eight-day, 1,500-mile competition in the deserts of Nevada, Arizona and California.

Also making their Chicago-area debuts at the show are the all-new 2023 Nissan Z and the 2023 Nissan Ariya electric crossover. The Z will be available this spring, followed by Ariya in the fall. All of the showcased vehicles are part of the company's ambitious "Nissan NEXT" transformation, which has resulted in one of the freshest new model lineups in the industry, from A to Z.

"Two big events are happening in February, the Chicago Auto Show and the Super Bowl, and Nissan is excited to be a part of both," said Michael Colleran, senior vice president, Nissan U.S. and Marketing and Sales, referring to Nissan's action-packed Super Bowl commercial, "Thrill Driver," starring the new Z and Ariya. "We are demonstrating the emotional connection and real benefits that Nissan tech delivers – the Thrill Effect – and can't wait for attendees at the show to experience these vehicles firsthand."

Three Frontier projects – plus one

The Project 72X, Project Hardbody and Project Adventure, while all sharing the same 2022 Frontier Crew Cab platform, address three different mid-size truck audiences and start with three different Frontier grade levels – S, SV and PRO-4X respectively. All three of the Frontier concept trucks combine readily available Nissan and aftermarket parts and accessories with custom-designed pieces and custom graphics.

"We're offering three looks at three styles to show how owners could modify their new Frontiers," said Hiren Patel, project lead designer, Nissan Design America, Inc. "The common ground is that they all use their trucks as canvases for personalization."

The Project 72X is a modern take on one of Nissan's most popular trucks, the Datsun 720. First introduced in fall 1979, the 720 eventually became the first vehicle assembled by Nissan in the United States when it rolled off the line of the then-new Smyrna (Tennessee) Vehicle Assembly Plant in 1983. Known as the "Lil Hustler," it was a bare-bones, affordable truck designed for fun and was advertised as ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. For the 2022 interpretation, the design team used gray exterior tones and graphics for a sense of modern, cool attitude – a look reinforced by the white-painted steel wheels, a 2.5-inch lift kit and a sport bar behind the cab.

Project Hardbody, as the name suggests, pays homage to one of the most iconic Nissan trucks ever, the D21 "Hardbody." It was the first truck design completed at NDA. Project Hardbody is built on a 2022 Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4. It features a 3-inch lift kit, classic Hardbody block-style wheels designed and milled at NDA, bed-mounted spare tire carrier and door graphics with '80s-style shadow outlining.

Project Adventure is the design group's take on the current popular overlanding trend and features a 5-inch lift kit, 34-inch mud terrain tires and a special carbon fiber snorkel designed and crafted by NDA. A key feature of the Project Adventure is the custom body wrap depicting an atlas of the U.S., which makes the statement, This is a big country, why don't you take your Frontier somewhere?

The Rebelle Rally Frontier competed in last October's all-women Rebelle Rally, piloted by Team Wild Grace co-captains Sedona Blinson and Lyn Woodward. The longest off-road rally in the United States, the racers don't use cell phones, navigation or any electronic tools throughout the rally – just maps, compass and roadbook. The Rebelle Rally Frontier carries the retro red, white and blue paint job of Nissan's champion off-road racers of the 1980s.

The Frontier PRO-4X Rebelle Rally racer has been modified for competition with a range of NISMO Off Road parts, including NISMO Off Road performance exhaust, NISMO Off Road performance suspension kit, 4-inch off-road lights and NISMO Off Road AXIS wheels.

The 2022 Chicago Auto Show runs Feb. 12 – 21 at McCormick Place.

For more information about our products, services and commitment to sustainable mobility, visit nissanusa.com. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn and see all our latest videos on YouTube.

# # #

boulder-gray-2023-nissan-z-chicago-auto-show.jpg

1644498912482.png

1644498928493.png

1644498950711.png

OP
OP

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Well I just got about 1.3 million times more envious of anyone who's going to the CAS. And if that little opening in the glass means people can get up and close, make that 1.4 million times.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Well I just got about 1.3 million times more envious of anyone who's going to the CAS. And if that little opening in the glass means people can get up and close, make that 1.4 million times.
That's likely there so speakers or cleaners can access the car. I have yet to see a show car on a dedicated raised podium where the public can walk on the platform.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
please...please bring this to the dallas auto show...pretty please!

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
God I have that grey....and all the "milky" or "chalky" colors that seem to be hot right now for some reason.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Do you know if any other Z's will be on display? I'm attending the show with my wife this weekend, in part to nudge her on board with a possible future Z purchase. And that bluish gray or whatever won't cut it.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Best colour for a black roof to date IMO if it looks like the photo immediately above.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I'll be at the show and will post pictures.
Here's what you can do for us, take similar lighting angle shots of the Z and the Frontier. Is the Boulder gray tint EXACTLY the same, non-metallic, clearcoat? I would think so, Nissan being so strapped in cash, doubt they'll put out variations of Boulder.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
That thing changes colors depending on the angle, right? I'm not crazy in saying that (well, I am crazy, but not THAT crazy)
You are not seeing things this is correct. It changes from a chalk grey to a pale blueish grey to an almost baby blue grey in lighting and in overcast/low light it'll look like a dark grey. I'm pretty sure they put some metallic flake in the paint giving it this effect so it's not completely flat grey. All of the colors are going to look different in certain lighting, at different angles, etc.