takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
"It's the tires" nope, not just the tires. The design of the suspension has a lot to do with how a car hooks up. I think it's been proven that the Z struggles on good tires also.

The 1st roll, the "thwap" from the accelerator pedal and the long pause from the transmission is exactly the same in my Q60. I know that sound well, and the ridiculous wait for downshift. Seems Nissan hasn't fixed a damn thing.

However, the manual shifting rolls look about right, the lighter Supra with an actually more powerful engine (both in actual whp and rated torque) slowly pulls away every time, and that's about what I'd expect.

Broken record here.....no way the Z, with it's old chassis, is going to win over a BMW with a modern chassis and underrated inline 6.
Obviously the VR30 is very competitive, it's the ancient chassis it's in holding it back. Turn it up to 500hp and it's going to be messy!

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
I like how all these Tubers round down on the Z price and round up on the Supra.

Where in the hell can you find a Performance Z for $49K?

-RJM

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Another thing that really sucks, many people wanted to get a Z before winter kicked in. This Z has horrible traction on a good day, must be useless in the rain. Sam was calling out wheelspin through at least 3 gears, wtf!

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Broken record here.....no way the Z, with it's old chassis, is going to win over a BMW with a modern chassis and underrated inline 6.
Obviously the VR30 is very competitive, it's the ancient chassis it's in holding it back. Turn it up to 500hp and it's going to be messy!
Right on, it's going to take some serious modification to make the Z come out on top in a drag race with a stock Supra. And even if someone is able to unlock the perfect combination of upgrades that allow for the VR30 to overcome the chassis limitations, and even if those modifications can be done relatively cheaply (all things considered), the Z is still far too close to the Supra from an MSRP perspective for it to look like a relative bargain (which was always part of the allure, at least for me).

**edit: unless you are somehow able to start from the Sport model and achieve this**

I've resigned to the idea that the new Z just isn't as capable a performer as I had hoped it would be. I doubt if many will necessarily care, in practice, but it will always be in the back of some/many of our minds.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Right on, it's going to take some serious modification to make the Z come out on top in a drag race with a stock Supra. And even if someone is able to unlock the perfect combination of upgrades that allow for the VR30 to overcome the chassis limitations, and even if those modifications can be done relatively cheaply (all things considered), the Z is still far too close to the Supra from an MSRP perspective for it to look like a relative bargain (which was always part of the allure, at least for me).

I've resigned to the idea that the new Z just isn't as capable a performer as I had hoped it would be. I doubt if many will necessarily care, in practice, but it will always be in the back of some/many of our minds.
I don't mind the performance shortcomings.
But I'm going to want to get this thing under MSRP. I've always bought underdog Nissans. But I've always scored a really good deal too.
What would invoice be on a Performance Z? If it's $48k than that's better.
I won't be cross shopping other cars, unless a Supra 6MT happened into my life.
Still prefer the underdog.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I don't mind the performance shortcomings.
But I'm going to want to get this thing under MSRP. I've always bought underdog Nissans. But I've always scored a really good deal too.
What would invoice be on a Performance Z? If it's $48k than that's better.
I won't be cross shopping other cars, unless a Supra 6MT happened into my life.
Still prefer the underdog.
This! Nissan has that scrappy quality, for better or worse. I want to see the day we're able to get these for invoice 🤟

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Random thought: has anyone seen a performance comparison between the two Z trims (using and aligning both transmissions)? I'd be curious to see if there's much of a difference off of the track. There wasn't in the case of the 370. In fact, I think it was C&D who claimed a Base 370 with sticky rubber would perform virtually indistinguishably from a NISMO on the street.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Random thought: has anyone seen a performance comparison between the two Z trims (using and aligning both transmissions)? I'd be curious to see if there's much of a difference off of the track. There wasn't in the case of the 370. In fact, I think it was C&D who claimed a Base 370 with sticky rubber would perform virtually indistinguishably from a NISMO on the street.
Not yet.

Seeing as how much wheelspin the LSD equipped Performance Z has, it'd be interesting up against an open diff Sport Z.
Wouldn't it be funny if the Sport actually performed better?

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Not yet.

Seeing as how much wheelspin the LSD equipped Performance Z has, it'd be interesting up against an open diff Sport Z.
Wouldn't it be funny if the Sport actually performed better?
Oh, it would be straight up hilarious! That's a PR nightmare Nissan surely would prefer to avoid, particularly given the bludgeoning the Z has already taken in many notable comparisons.

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I like how all these Tubers round down on the Z price and round up on the Supra.

Where in the hell can you find a Performance Z for $49K?

-RJM
The Supra has markups as well, no?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
The Supra has markups as well, no?
I did a quick browse around the other forum and yes it seems quite a few are paying markups. I will say though im surprised how many are able to get msrp as well so i dont think its quite as bad as the Z situation so far. At least that's my impression from a glance but I could be off the mark.

I will add that my local dealer offered me msrp on a 2023 if I ordered so the potential is certainly there. Like many things seems area dependent.

MycarisZ

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda Miata
Occupation
Project Manager
I did a quick browse around the other forum and yes it seems quite a few are paying markups. I will say though im surprised how many are able to get msrp as well so i dont think its quite as bad as the Z situation so far. At least that's my impression from a glance but I could be off the mark.

I will add that my local dealer offered me msrp on a 2023 if I ordered so the potential is certainly there. Like many things seems area dependent.
Manual Supras are already on sale???

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Bottom line, the Supra is lighter, lots more torque from that underrated Bimmer straight 6, plus superior ZF trans. The Z only gets close when manual shifted, the Nissan automatic programming can't compare and keep up. Tires are just a small factor here, mostly on digs.

Good test.