Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
We're in the same field, NissanNA hosts in Oracle and uses Akamai for CDN.

I'm not trying to be famous, just an S Chassis and Z Chassis guy passing along info to other Z guys....no need to be hostile.

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
There are definitely trash sources out there just trying to get click bait. I appreciate folks like Houston.Z35 for passing along what he’s heard. He’s not saying it’s fact. We are fairly smart adults and can decide wether or not we believe it. Discussing well reasoned speculation is part of the fun and excitement of waiting for this thing. No reason to be hostile towards him.

thechoop

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi R8, Suburban, Honda Odessy, Toyota Camry
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the info.

I'm curious that you mentioned that the 9 speed transmission is also going to Infiniti rwd models? Are you referring to the current Q50 & Q60? Those are due for redesign and I had thought Infiniti may be moving away from rwd based cars in the future.
I looked around and did not see the 9 speed mentioned. Would you be kind enough to point this out for me? I am interested in an automatic transmission because I am a paraplegic. Thank you!

supraboi

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
I looked around and did not see the 9 speed mentioned. Would you be kind enough to point this out for me? I am interested in an automatic transmission because I am a paraplegic. Thank you!
Here you go.

The Auto we're seeing on the Gunmetal and Silver cars is the Mercedes-Benz 9G-Tronic, no more 7 speed.
- Yes, it's still a torque converter Auto
- No, it's not as nice as the ZF8 (based on what I can find online, I've never driven anything with this transmission personally)
- It's better than the Jatco 7spd we all know now
- This transmission is already in the Titan and it will soon be in every Nissan / Infiniti RWD vehicle (including the Qs)

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
Sure, most of what's being shared here is pure speculation by this person (HoustonZ.35).

I'd recommend waiting for "real" news - which will come from reliable sources...like Nissan...or authorized by them through release to respected media outlets...not "carscoops" or "hotcars" style outlets that created the "400z" name misnomer. It'll be from the likes of Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile, etc.

I am pretty close to Nissan with my work as director for the Z Car Club Association. I do have an NDA with Nissan on the new Z project, so there are details I know, but cannot disclose.

A lot of what @Houston.Z35 has said makes sense. the specs and pricing etc. however, i too dont buy it since that uses the same spec scheme from the 370Z originally before nissan completely ruined them. originally the 370 had base, sport, touring, sport touring, and nismo. the new rumored models seem suspiciously a copy of the with base, S, T, and ST. that part is what leads me to believe it's made up by someone.

however, anything and everything said at the moment is as you stated, pure speculation.......unless he has a source. i mean i had my sources years ago when i got info on the VR30 well before it was even mentioned in most circles.

Chris, if you do speak with Nissan please pass this along for me: GIVE US SOME DETAILS ALREADY!

they are seriously failing with this cars launch, well whenever that may possibly happen. they gave us an awful proto release last year that was barely watchable. they have given 0 official info since that event. if they plan on making money with car they really should start marketing it. at the moment it's only our very small Z community who even cares at this point.

they still have yet to actually even confirm that it uses the VR30 engine. we all have known that was the engine since it was put in the Q lol i mean yes, they said its a V6 TT but they never said which one. they still have it on their website as just the Z proto. it's almost embarrassing that they throw that event with all the pageantry then crickets.

Even with a signed NDA, there's ways you can say things to be an upstanding member of the Z community and let us in on things if they actually told you any real info.

nisslover

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Sedan 6-spd
A lot of what @Houston.Z35 has said makes sense. the specs and pricing etc. however, i too dont buy it since that uses the same spec scheme from the 370Z originally before nissan completely ruined them. originally the 370 had base, sport, touring, sport touring, and nismo. the new rumored models seem suspiciously a copy of the with base, S, T, and ST. that part is what leads me to believe it's made up by someone.

however, anything and everything said at the moment is as you stated, pure speculation.......unless he has a source. i mean i had my sources years ago when i got info on the VR30 well before it was even mentioned in most circles.

Chris, if you do speak with Nissan please pass this along for me: GIVE US SOME DETAILS ALREADY!

they are seriously failing with this cars launch, well whenever that may possibly happen. they gave us an awful proto release last year that was barely watchable. they have given 0 official info since that event. if they plan on making money with car they really should start marketing it. at the moment it's only our very small Z community who even cares at this point.

they still have yet to actually even confirm that it uses the VR30 engine. we all have known that was the engine since it was put in the Q lol i mean yes, they said its a V6 TT but they never said which one. they still have it on their website as just the Z proto. it's almost embarrassing that they throw that event with all the pageantry then crickets.

Even with a signed NDA, there's ways you can say things to be an upstanding member of the Z community and let us in on things if they actually told you any real info.
I don't think they have misstepped on the launch as much as you're alluding to... I mean they pretty much showed us the actual car minus regulatory reflectors at the end of last year. Nissan knows everyone knows what engine will be in this car. They don't really need to confirm what's already known and at the same time, they get to keep up the old fashion "top secret" thing. What they're doing is creating anticipation. And remember... our timeline is based on when all the leaks started when Nissan just officially confirmed its redesign and revealed a "prototype" only months ago and we're already seeing pre-production models popping up. In actuality, they're doing a pretty good job of not dragging it out too long... compared to the YEARS of the Supra teases from Toyota. Even if they release the car in Spring 2022, we're still talking from prototype reveal to lots/driveways in less than 18-months.

Was the actual reveal of the car kinda "blah"... yeah. But I think the pandemic had more to do with that than anything. I'll take a "blah" reveal over them postponing the car overall.

Also, I think the anticipation for this car is pretty widespread and beyond the boundaries of the Z community. If they really place a $35k starting price on this car, which I am doubting, they have the potential to draw in a lot of new customers outside of previous Z owners.

nisslover

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Sedan 6-spd
The Auto we're seeing on the Gunmetal and Silver cars is the Mercedes-Benz 9G-Tronic, no more 7 speed.
- Yes, it's still a torque converter Auto
- No, it's not as nice as the ZF8 (based on what I can find online, I've never driven anything with this transmission personally)
- It's better than the Jatco 7spd we all know now
- This transmission is already in the Titan and it will soon be in every Nissan / Infiniti RWD vehicle (including the Qs)
If the base price is anything under $40k, Nissan needs to be considered the champ and king of the hill. With the base Supra 3.0 starting at $50k they really could start at $45k and it'll still be considered a bargain. And we all know... they need that money. Lol

Interesting tidbit on the Q50/60 getting the 9-speed... I want to believe that is true... It makes sense to send the RWD cars off with a bang. Outside of the DAS and In-Touch, the 7-speed is the biggest complaint on these cars. My hope is that they would drop the 9-speed in and makes some updates to the interiors(Digital gauges, infotainment update, etc.) to breathe some life in them until the next-gen Hybrid/EV cars are available. The Q60 is too beautiful to get so panned every time it's reviewed...

But the lack of updates to the QX55 makes me doubt that. I thought for sure that car would at least adopt the digital gauges... and was hoping it'd drop the CVT.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
I don't think they have misstepped on the launch as much as you're alluding to... I mean they pretty much showed us the actual car minus regulatory reflectors at the end of last year. Nissan knows everyone knows what engine will be in this car. They don't really need to confirm what's already known and at the same time, they get to keep up the old fashion "top secret" thing. What they're doing is creating anticipation. And remember... our timeline is based on when all the leaks started when Nissan just officially confirmed its redesign and revealed a "prototype" only months ago and we're already seeing pre-production models popping up. In actuality, they're doing a pretty good job of not dragging it out too long... compared to the YEARS of the Supra teases from Toyota. Even if they release the car in Spring 2022, we're still talking from prototype reveal to lots/driveways in less than 18-months.

Was the actual reveal of the car kinda "blah"... yeah. But I think the pandemic had more to do with that than anything. I'll take a "blah" reveal over them postponing the car overall.

Also, I think the anticipation for this car is pretty widespread and beyond the boundaries of the Z community. If they really place a $35k starting price on this car, which I am doubting, they have the potential to draw in a lot of new customers outside of previous Z owners.
i still feel they are missing out on marketing opportunities and whatnot. they're years behind the supra and they're always are behind with the tech they use in the cars.

also, to your point of proto to showroom in 18 months....yea that's simple when you're using the last gen car only reskinned. MA motorsports did the research and development on the engine/trans swap into the 370 for them lol .

Carfr33k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Armada
The 9 speed is a Jatco unit. I have one in my Titan.