Hagerty Insider: The $45k question: Would you buy a new Z or one of its collectible forebears?

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
you know what i like doing to much stuff to cars id prob ruin the value

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
I am doing both, already have the 2007 350z HR Motor Z Car, patiently waiting to swoop in and buy the New Z Car.

I'm the Old Bull at the top of the Hill. Going to watch all the young bulls run down the hill stir up the herd as they try and swoop up a girl bull. Imma wait patiently, watch the herd settle down as the super hot girls bulls gather back up in the center of the freshly calmed herd. Then I'm going to smoothly and calmly walk down the hill and scoop up that hot girl and take her home.

I have no problem waiting, I know exactly which one I want and waiting for the right one always leaves you happy in the long run . . .

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
I will never sell my 280. I plan on getting a new Z as a daily driver once all the hype calms down. If that never happens, I am perfectly content with my 47 yr old classic.

Last edited:

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevrolet SS Sedan, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
entrepreneur
New Z. The new one takes me back to the older Z's without the maintenance issues.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
The new one takes me back to the older Z's without the maintenance issues.
At least you could maintain the old ones ... these days you almost need a degree in computer science and rocket science, plus about $7million worth of electronic gadgetry just to change the wiper blades. :(

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
entrepreneur
At least you could maintain the old ones ... these days you almost need a degree in computer science and rocket science, plus about $7million worth of electronic gadgetry just to change the wiper blades. :(
LOL, couldn't agree more. My knuckles have lost enough skin for one lifetime so I'm done with that phase of my life. My mechanic works on old vettes and always tells me that it's become a major challenge to find parts. The last old car I had, I couldn't find a motor to get the power windows operational. I still love old cars but I'll happily admire other people's cars at shows these days.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
New Z. The new one takes me back to the older Z's without the maintenance issues.
I've been thinking about that. As I look back on my 4.5 years of a 2nd owner Z32, I've had relatively minor issues. Of course, when I bought the car, I had a mechanical restoration done on it. Even so, total outlay including purchase is a little less than half of new Sport Z.

I could probably get back about 75% of that back if I sold it, but I kinda like the relatively rare ownership and responsibility of preservation of the car.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
I've been thinking about that. As I look back on my 4.5 years of a 2nd owner Z32, I've had relatively minor issues. Of course, when I bought the car, I had a mechanical restoration done on it. Even so, total outlay including purchase is a little less than half of new Sport Z.

I could probably get back about 75% of that back if I sold it, but I kinda like the relatively rare ownership and responsibility of preservation of the car.
Keep your Z32. They are amazing and special cars. I had two of them. But these days shelling out 45K which is more like 55K CAD in pure cash without warranty is too risky for me. Just when you think something is great you get some component or module that's hard to get and you end up with a $2k bill. I'll take warranty and the latest in Z's tuning. But I loved my Z32s and still snap my neck around everytime one rips by.

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
entrepreneur

We're all "car guys" so I think we probably enjoy the beauty of any sports car. The last old one I had was a big boat convertible that I won as a door prize at an auto show. Fun car to drive and always attracted attention but there were also always problems and things to fix. I'm at a point in my life where I want to drive when I can - not work on them anymore.